Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have WHARFEDALE speakers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-10-02, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about purchasing Wharfedale 97 tower speakers for my mains, and then later on a center channel wharfe/surround wharfes.

I've seen people talking highly about the monitor series in Wharfedale, I was just wondering (other than audioreview.com) if anyone here has Wharfedale's, or Wharf 97's and how they perform on MUSIC/MOVIES.

Thanks,
ELmO
Old 01-11-02, 10:40 AM

FWIW, Wharfedale received a good review in the current Sound & Vision....
Old 01-11-02, 10:55 AM

I've read some good things about them, too - maybe I should subscribe to sound and vision.

I just wonder though, are these latest and greatest speakers that great if they aren't magnetically shielded? I heard the wharfedale's aren't shielded...it sounds weird to me, but is that how some midrange speakers are?

I'm still contemplating - Wharfedale mains, and subsequently center/surrounds, or ENERGY TAKE 5.2? Or paradigm towers and later on paradigm 'finish'?

ACK.

Thanks,
ELmO
Old 01-11-02, 11:05 AM

I've heard a lot of 'self-styled audiophiles bad-mouth S&V as being too consumer oriented (as in lo-fi). It's certainly one of the cheaper mags, but there are a lot of others that are better rated.

The only reason I read the review was because I see that uBid is always selling Wharfedales at very low prices.

You might want to consult with your local A/V or audio shops (local, not chain).
Old 01-12-02, 11:25 AM

there's no better way to know than to try them out yourself..i dont think i could ever buy speakers w/o trying them first.
Old 01-12-02, 06:06 PM

Wharfedale lost the plot about five years ago, but they've come good again in the past year or so. I'm running Wharfedale bookshelfs all round, and they're pretty good, although whether I'll stick with them when I upgrade the fronts to towers is a different matter.

Definitely audition them first though, and try Mission, B&W and Tannoy if you like Wharfedale's sound (I don't know what the availability of the aforementioned speakers are like).