DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wega 36XBR200 - Is it progressive scan?

Old 01-08-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wega 36XBR200 - Is it progressive scan?

I've owned one of those for a couple of years and I was wondering if it accepts progressive scan. I know the more recent series do. Anyone? Sony web site isn't much help...
Old 01-08-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry about the double post. stevet, can you delete one?
Thanks.
Old 01-09-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think so.

Look on the back of the TV for the component inputs or check the owners manual for a back panel diagram.
Old 01-09-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well it does have component input since this is how my DVD player is connected.
Old 01-09-02, 09:49 AM

On the back of my 36XBR400 I have two sets of component inputs that are also marked with 480p/1080i. These are where I have my DVD player and X-Box hooked up. I believe that if it isn't labelled 480/1080, its not Prog. Scan. The manual should be able to tell you for sure though.
Old 01-09-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
Well it does have component input since this is how my DVD player is connected.
If you are using a yellow cable for the video that is the composite connection. Then there is S-Video which is a pin connector. The component connection(s) are red, blue and green and require all three cables.
Old 01-09-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

If you are using a yellow cable for the video that is the composite connection. Then there is S-Video which is a pin connector. The component connection(s) are red, blue and green and require all three cables.
I do indeed have 3 cables. But I think dvddude23 might be correct. Having component input doesn't necessarily mean that the tv accepts a progressive scan signal. Mine is not labelled 480p/1080i so unfortunately I don't think it's progressive scan capable.
Old 01-09-02, 11:29 AM

Further Question

A further question....

This has been danced around in several forums, but I don't recall seeing a absolute yes or no answer:

If the XBR does not say 480p/1080i, will a progressive scan player work?
Old 01-09-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris

I do indeed have 3 cables. But I think dvddude23 might be correct. Having component input doesn't necessarily mean that the tv accepts a progressive scan signal. Mine is not labelled 480p/1080i so unfortunately I don't think it's progressive scan capable.
My apologies, it does accept component input

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...v36xbr200.html

I do not believe it is progressive capable. See the next link for the current set which lists the video formats.

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...v36xbr450.html
Old 01-09-02, 01:19 PM

If the XBR does not say 480p/1080i, will a progressive scan player work?
I bought the wife a 19" JVC set for her birthday last year - and it has component inputs, however it is not a prog. scan capable TV. When I got my Tosh 3750 for Christmas this year, I hooked it up to the JVC to test it out (because I didn't want to climb behind my TV on Christmas to remove my old Tosh 2109/install the 3750).

It worked on her set, but unbeknownst to me the player ships set up as interlaced by default - I didn't read about setting it to Prog mode until I had installed it in the main room with the XBR set.

Point of the post - I know a Prog. Player will work on a non-prog capable set, but in interlaced mode (like a regular player). I would think it wouldn't work in prog mode, becuase when I switch between the two modes on my XBR it changes the menu set-up of the set based on the signal being fed (i.e. the XBR has 16:9 mode as auto, manual, and off - when interlaced, I can set the option up to auto, but in prog mode, its either on or off, no auto- so obviously a different signal is coming through to the set).
Old 01-09-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it wasn't progressive scan. Anyway that clears things up. I have a Malata N996 on it's way so I guess it will have to do the job in interlaced mode.

One more question then. Since I will have 2 DVD players (one progressive, one not) and my non-progressive tv has only one component video input (used by current non-progressive DVD player), I guess it won't matter which DVD player uses which connection (component and S-video), correct?
Old 01-09-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It shouldn't. You might want to A/B them just to see if there is any visible difference.
Old 01-10-02, 10:19 AM

dvddude:

Thanks for the answer! Now I know that I don't have to rush right out and get a new DVD player - at least until my current one breaks or I decide to replace my XBR.