DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV help

Old 01-08-02, 11:32 AM

TV help

I'm looking into 2 TV's in my price range. They are the 36 inch JVC AV-36230 and the Sony 32 inch Wega. My wife is pretty firm on my budget for this (damn her!) since part of the deal is that I have to get her this oak entertainment center she wants, which cuts into my TV fund...

I really Like the Wega, but the JVC has a sweet picture and is actually cheaper than the Wega. Is there one that outshines the other? Should I go for the 36 in JVC or get the 32 inch Wega?

I have a 32 inch Panasonic now, but its like 6 years old and showing it's age. I like the size of 32 inch TV's, but the 36 inch screen size is nice...

I play alot of video games, and I need Component hookups for my xbox, and both have them.

Any ideas on my dilemma?
Old 01-08-02, 12:29 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: TV help

Originally posted by Hockeynut

I really Like the Wega, but the JVC has a sweet picture and is actually cheaper than the Wega. Is there one that outshines the other? Should I go for the 36 in JVC or get the 32 inch Wega?

I play alot of video games, and I need Component hookups for my xbox, and both have them.

Any ideas on my dilemma?
both have component hookup so that's not a concern.

if you're concerned about picture quality, and the jvc has a "sweet picture" already, then that's one down.

price is a concern? jvc "is actually cheaper." two down

size? jvc 36 in. (bigger, cheaper) vs. wega 32 in. (smaller, more expensive). three down.

i think you answered your own question, just needed that little nudge

--HN
Old 01-08-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go for the Wega. It has 16:9 mode which will allow you to get the most out of your DVDs for years to come. The JVC lacks this feature.

Also, with the flat screens it seems like you are actually getting more picture.

The model you are looking at is the bottom of the line JVC. I would look at a minimum their D series or even better one of the flat screens they sell.

J
Old 01-08-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd withhold sex until she gives in.....

#1 Wait...too late....you are married

#2 Sorry....it is usually the other way isn't it?

-pedagogue