DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help- Sound cutting out

Old 01-08-02, 10:18 AM
Cool New Member

Need help- Sound cutting out

While watching a couple of dvds last night, the sound randomly cut out throughout the movie. All speakers were sounding fine and would totally drop out for about a second at a time. This happened probably 10 times during the movie. Does this sound like a receiver or speaker problem? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-08-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My first guess would be a receiver or cabling problem. Check your connections, then try some tests with another source such as a cd.
Old 01-08-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the early generation players were known to have this problem. Specifically early Toshiba's
Old 01-08-02, 02:27 PM
Cool New Member

I've got a Sony player which is around 2 years old. Never had any problems before. I'm using a new optical cable between the player and receiver. Could that cause the sound to randomly cut out?
Old 01-08-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rainking
I've got a Sony player which is around 2 years old. Never had any problems before. I'm using a new optical cable between the player and receiver. Could that cause the sound to randomly cut out?
It could if it is not tight. I would also try some other sources such as a cd player if you have one in the same system. It maybe a problem in the receiver (cold solder joints) or a problem with speaker connections.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 01-08-02 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-08-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a longshot, but what DVDs were you watching and what kind of receiver do you have? There have been some compatability issues with a couple of recent titles with some models of receivers from the current model year.
Old 01-08-02, 04:29 PM
Cool New Member

The receiver is a Sony DE675 and I was watching Fight Club and Rushmore (Criterion).
Old 01-08-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, well then, the problem I was talking about wouldn't be the issue. My guess would be damage to the optical cable or a problem with the connection. You may want to try a digital coax to see if that changes anything.
Old 01-09-02, 09:21 AM
Cool New Member

I re-connected the optical cable last night to make sure it was tight, and the problem seemed to go away. Hopefully that's all it was. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 02-19-02, 11:05 AM
Cool New Member

After thinking this problem was solved, it has started to occur again. I even got a digital coax instead of an optical cable, and still experienced this problem. So now its got to be either the receiver or the DVD player. Any ideas on which is more likely?
Old 02-19-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rainking
After thinking this problem was solved, it has started to occur again. I even got a digital coax instead of an optical cable, and still experienced this problem. So now its got to be either the receiver or the DVD player. Any ideas on which is more likely?
Might be the speaker connections or a cold solder joint.

Recheck the speaker connections and also try with another source. The vibration or the act of warming up could affect a cold solder joint. If it does so on CD's then I suspect it is in the receiver, try FM to verify.