Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

AT&T Digital Cable on Sony 36XBR450

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on getting the 36 inch Wega XBR in a couple months and am wondering if anyone has had any experience viewing any type of "digital" cable on these sets? Everyone says that they make cable look terrible because of the higher resolution, but does it also effect digital cable as drastically? Thanks!
Old 01-07-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

be aware that the bulk of the signal on digital cable is an analog signal (AFAIK). only the digital tier stations are, well, digital....and even then, IMO, the picture isn't anything special.

The clarity of DVD's on Wegas make them very well worthwhile, though.
Old 01-08-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by edclem
be aware that the bulk of the signal on digital cable is an analog signal (AFAIK). only the digital tier stations are, well, digital....and even then, IMO, the picture isn't anything special.

The clarity of DVD's on Wegas make them very well worthwhile, though.
Ditto on what he said.

I found out the hard way, I have the sony 32 xbr and hated my cable reseption on it. I got AT&T digital 10 days ago and dropped it after 1 week. Most of the channels are analog and no difference on recpetion of regular. I will look into a satalite dish now to get the most out of this expensive tv and sugest you do to.
Old 01-08-02, 12:51 AM

I just bought this set last week. I have att digital on it as well. The reception with digital is nothing to bragg about. DVDs are awesome. Cable picture is quite pixeled on some stations. This set shows all imperfections. The signal at the stores that sell them is directv or antenna. some have HDTV. therefore the picture is perfect in the store. I just ordered one of those set up dvds(avia) to try and help the situation. I might bring it back to circuit city and exchange it. Not sure yet though. i'll see if i can tweak it and play with it for a week or so more. Good luck.
Old 01-08-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Avia calibration disc and don't use it. I found the THX calibration found on T2 U.E. , Cast Away, Planet of the Apes or many others to work better for this tv. Calibration of this tv makes the DVD beautiful but cable still is disappointing.
Old 01-08-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the responses. I know that only the upper tier channels are only digital, but that's ok because I only watch like 3 lower channels anyway. I am kinda scared because I would feel cheated if I bought a tv like this and can't really watch any tv on it. I live in Northern Utah so I am outta luck for OTA HDTV I think. I don't even know if SLC has HDTV yet. Anyway, does anyone know of any satellite services, that could be mount on an apartment building, that would bring in HDTV signals WITHOUT me having to buy a separate decoder box?

EDIT: Also a service that is under 46 dollars a month hehe.

Last edited by Ergyu; 01-08-02 at 11:54 AM.