DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need your opinion on Sony Progressive dvd player (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/172164-need-your-opinion-sony-progressive-dvd-player.html)

IAN B 01-07-02 12:10 PM

Need your opinion on Sony Progressive dvd player

For you owners of this dvd player, let me know how pleased you are/not with it as well as the picture quality with an HDTV rear projection t.v. I will be picking it up this weekend with the 10% off coupons. If you don't recommend it, give me another model in the same $299 price range.

Thanks,

Ian B.

Brian Shannon 01-07-02 12:12 PM

Re: Need your opinion on Sony Progressive dvd player

Originally posted by IAN B
For you owners of this dvd player, let me know how pleased you are/not with it as well as the picture quality with an HDTV rear projection t.v. I will be picking it up this weekend with the 10% off coupons. If you don't recommend it, give me another model in the same $299 price range.

Thanks,

Ian B.

Which model?

IAN B 01-07-02 12:56 PM

Re: Re: Need your opinion on Sony Progressive dvd player

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

Which model?

I believe is the NS 700 Sony model. It is silver looking.

Brian Shannon 01-07-02 01:01 PM

I own the 700p and like it alot.

It does have the chroma bug but that does not concern me. I have not looked for it and have not noticed it. For the money I think this is a good player.

IAN B 01-07-02 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I own the 700p and like it alot.

It does have the chroma bug but that does not concern me. I have not looked for it and have not noticed it. For the money I think this is a good player.

What do you mean by chroma bug?

GMLSKIS 01-08-02 12:56 AM

Don't worry about the chroma bug. Like he said it is so small you will never notice it unless you spend time doing nothing else and with a magnifying glass. I have this player and love it and highly recommend it. Best player I ever owned and works good with my Sony XBR Wega TV.

Brian Shannon 01-08-02 07:20 AM

Originally posted by IAN B

What do you mean by chroma bug?

Sony NS700P

This machine was a surprise to us, a mildly pleasant one. We had heard through the grapevine that this player would be using the Genesis chipset, as the earlier S9000ES had. When we got the player, however, we found that Sony was using a chip of their own. It's not quite up to the level of the Silicon Image or Sage chips, but it's several notches better than the Genesis.

The chip uses cadence-reading, so it passes all the "bad flags" tests quite well. As you can see from the chart, the player failed the Mixed Mode and Chapter Stops test, with a pretty significant recovery time. But it never combed on those tests, which is good. It has good bad edit detection - 1 comb on the Big Lebowski test is very good indeed. Only the Sage and Silicon Image chips do better. And it has good quality motion-adaptive video deinterlacing, which is excellent.

Video quality was quite good. Unfortunately, this player has the chroma bug. It's not as bad as some, but it's there and quite noticeable on certain material. One feature that was missing that some people are interested in is aspect ratio control. The Sony DVPS9000ES offered the ability to windowbox 4:3 material, but we were unable to find this feature on the NS700P.

All in all, this is a very fine player, marred only by a tendency to stay in video mode a little long, and the chroma bug. If the chroma bug isn't an issue for you, we'd certainly rank this player well above average for its price point.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

IAN B 01-08-02 07:20 AM

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
Don't worry about the chroma bug. Like he said it is so small you will never notice it unless you spend time doing nothing else and with a magnifying glass. I have this player and love it and highly recommend it. Best player I ever owned and works good with my Sony XBR Wega TV.
Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone for the input and info. I will be picking this puppy up this friday with the 10% off coupon.

Ian B.

IAN B 01-11-02 04:20 PM

Made out like a bandit today with this player. I got Best Buy to match Circuit City's $280.00 price plus got the 10% for preferred customers weekend for a final price of $252.00 plus tax. They also gave a $20.00 gift card for future purchases. Can't wait to get home and hook it up to my Toshiba 56x81 HDTV.

Ian B