DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   TV question - 36 inch tube or 42 inch rear projection (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/172136-tv-question-36-inch-tube-42-inch-rear-projection.html)

StarFyre 01-07-02 10:31 AM

TV question - 36 inch tube or 42 inch rear projection

Hello,

My dad saw a 36 inch tube (like, the regular tubes in tvs) television that he said was widescreen (I still can't find this at the Toshiba site though). I was looking at a toshiba 42 inch 16*9 widescreen tv (rear projection HDTV compatible).

I just watch dvds really, and simspons/futurama/enterprise will look fine on my regular tv (only tv shows I watch) so I don't need a true HDTV since I won't be getting satellite or digital cable).

My dad said the tube tv had a hard glass screen like normal tvs, and that the salesman said it's much better than a rear projection HDTV compatible tv. Is that true?

If yes, why? I figured the 42 inch widescreen would be better than the 36 but apparently the 36 is not a tube and it has a softer plastic type screen.

Thanks.

Sanjay
[email protected]

RandyC 01-07-02 01:22 PM

I think Toshiba does have a 376" 16:9 tube set.

My opinion: though rear projection sets have become much better, I still like the increased viewing angle and brighter picture of a tube set. My choice for a tube is the 36" Panasonic. The Sony sets also look very good.

If you don't need HDTV, then don't worry about it, but I would want the set to be "HDTV Ready" so that your TV will not be obsolete for the near future. You also get some nice enhanced features for now, specially if you use a progressive scan DVD player.

renaldow 01-07-02 02:23 PM

I've got to agree with Randyc, and it's not just because he's an administrator.

I'd buy tube over projection any day of the week. While pjtv's have gotten a lot better, they still do not look right to me. The colors seem a little off, and because it's projected they can't do a true black. Projected black becomes dark gray, and it's just not the same to me.

A widescreen tube TV is the way to go, even if it's a bit smaller. You'll get a better pic, definitely.

matchpenalty 01-07-02 02:28 PM

randyc,

I thought all the widescreen tubes were 34" except the non-flat RCA which is 38".

I do agree that I love the better viewing angles and brightness of a tube. (I have the 34" panny)

renaldow 01-07-02 06:26 PM

Originally posted by matchpenalty
I thought all the widescreen tubes were 34" except the non-flat RCA which is 38".
Samsung actually has 2 models that are 30"

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/na...TSL3099WHFXXAA

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/na...3095WFHX%2fXAA

Xytraguptorh 01-07-02 06:49 PM

I agree that direct view TVs still have some benefits over RPTVs, but I think the bigger screen that you can have with RPTVs is more than worth the trade off. And to me, the picture on RPTVs looks more like what you seen on theater screen. Black levels aren't as good on as on a direct view set, but black levels aren't too hot at the theater either, at least the ones I've been to. For less than the price of a direct view HDTV, you could get (for example) the Tosh 42" or Panasonic 47" RPTVs. Somewhat lower picture quality, but much bigger screen.

RandyC 01-07-02 08:43 PM

Originally posted by matchpenalty
randyc,

I do agree that I love the better viewing angles and brightness of a tube. (I have the 34" panny)

:)

Actually, I said 376".... I want a big set.

(yes, 34"...wishful thinking swelled it to 36")

fugisteve 01-10-02 12:14 PM

I just bought the Tosh 42" WS RPTV. Very nice unit with lots of features. It also seems a bit dark on the "normal" box settings, but I just adjusted to my liking. I believe your dad was talking about the Tosh. 38" WS direct view (aka tube). This has a GREAT picture. I just opted for the larger one.

Enjoy

Gomez 01-12-02 11:02 AM

You can get a big screen HD RPTV for under two grand. My question a while ago: "why get a smaller tube TV for same price?"

OK, so I went out and bought the 47" 16:9 Panasonic HDTV. Paid under 2 grand. Totally awesome. However...

RPTV is a more complex animal than direct view (aka: tube) TV. They require more involved fiddling and tweaking to keep them at their best, while direct view TV is more plug and play. Onve you get your RPTV to its best, though, it can display more resolution than a direct view TV.

If you're a hands-on person go for the RPTV. Kinda like a BMW versus a Lexus - BMW will out perform, but requires more maintenence.

One last thought: the bigger the screen, the more visible the imperfections in your source. For example, if you're watching analog CATV then the snow on poor-quality stations will be more apparent. If watching DBS or digital cable, then the pixelation will be more obvious. If watching a poor-quality transfer DVD then the noise will be more evident in the picture.

All said and done, the image on my 47" 16:9 HD RPTV is mind-numbingly good on many sources including the plain old analog CATV stations that have a powerful broadcast signal. DVD in progressive scan (480p) usually beats the real thing in the theater. If DVD is important go for 16:9 HD RPTV. If watching MTV, Survivor and the local news is your biggest thing then you might want to go with a smaller 4:3 direct view television such as a Wega.