Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

reciever, speakers and sub advice??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yo, i got myself a nice reciever and speaker package for my room and its pretty nice as of now, but ive only had it for about a day

heres what i have:

Kenwood VR-509 reciever
Sony SAV-E325 (5 speakers and sub)

I sit about 6 feet away from my television. My center is on top of the TV (of course) and fronts are about 10-12 inches from the side of the TV and the same hieght as the center speaker.

Should i have the same height or higher or lower, i have adjustable stands??

For my rear speakers, they are behind my couch, about 6 feet high off the ground and parrallel to the armrests on the couch.

Is that a good hieght for them, also i have them facin each other, should i have them facing outwards or diagonally?

My reciever has the option of turning up each speaker to +10 db, right now there all set at 0, should i turn any up such as the rear speakers or just leave as is?

I appreciate any information
Old 01-07-02, 12:58 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok here ya go

Speaker placement:

Center: Directly in front of the listening position, with the tweeter at ear level.

L/R Front: Measure from the seating area to the TV. Place speakers 2/3 of that distance apart, centered around the television, and again have the tweeters at ear level. also take care in spacing them off the wall to reduce reflections

L/R Surround: Mount the speakers facing you at again ear level.

Sub: Put near your front speakers, and if you find they need more oomph put it in a corner.

Level:

If you can find a SPL meter set your reciever at 0 bd or a typical volume and adjust the level between 70-80 Db on average. If you don't have a meter just adjust the speakers so that the volume is about the same from each speaker with white noise (Hissing)