DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Paradigm PW-2200 feedback

Old 01-06-02, 11:07 AM
Cool New Member

Paradigm PW-2200 feedback

Hi all!

I am seriously considering purchasing the Paradigm PW-2200 to add to my Home Theatre setup. Any comments, praise or gripes? I just want to get some feedback on the Sub as it will run me about a $1000 CDN. Also any setup tips (Placement) will be greatly appreciated.

-P
Old 01-06-02, 11:39 AM

I think that it lists now for CDN$990...originally it was listed for $900, but there appears to be a price increase recently.

I have heard that the PW2200 can be had for as low as CDN$750-$800. Someone even mentioned that they bought it for CDN$600.

The PW2200 is regarded by many HT enthusiasts to be one of the biggest bang for the buck subs in the under $1000 price range. It's a pretty big sub for a 12 inch.

Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision has recommended the PW2200.

Other subs to consider:

SVS http://www.svsubwoofers.com

Adire Dharman US$550-$600 plus shipping http://www.adireaudio.com

Hsu VTF-2 list US$500 online US$400-$450

* shipping could be kinda pricey on these. Also, currency exchange is a factor too.

IMO, I would probably go with the PW2200 if it was CDN$800 before taxes and available locally with a good return policy (if it wasn't suitable). Otherwise, I would consider other subs instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
Old 01-06-02, 09:52 PM
Cool New Member

I have had a PW-2200 for almost 6 months now, and I can say that it is a great sub, I could not dream about not having it in my setup. It has some nice low end and is nice and tight. I paid about $800 Can + tax for mine, and its a steal. I have yet to hear anything better within + or - $500 range(Velodyne, Polk, Infinity, etc..), but I have not heard any of the high end stuff ($1.5K and up). Now for the bad part, the sub is a bit on the big side, and it will get you kicked out of an apartment pretty quick if you listen at anything at all loud As for set up tips: I have the master amp control on the back set to about 2/3 power, the crossover at 150, and have it located between my right main and TV. I also have it about 6" or so from the wall behind it so the rear port can breathe. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-07-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to go out on a linmb and say that you can go wrong with ANY Paradigm speaker purchse