Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

any deals on a subwoofer ???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-02, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking to spend around $150 for a subwoofer for movies and music. preferably something that i can use for years. thanks for your help
Old 01-05-02, 06:20 PM

Sony SA-WM 40...close to your budget and kicks some butt for HT (and music)

Mines well over a year old, stays ON 24/7 and runs flawlessly.

Alfer
Old 01-05-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Alfer

Alfer
I agree. I bought the Sony SA-WM40 from www.42photo.com, but it's no longer there. However, it is at etronics for $139:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...M40&svbname=31

By the way, Alfer, why don't you use the auto-power on/off function? I used to keep it on 24/7, but then tried the powersave mode. Just curious what you thought of it.
Old 01-05-02, 08:49 PM
Gomez

The Sony's okay, but... wouldn't you rather have a $500 JBL 12" sub for about the same price?!?

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...PSU&market=HOM

I keep telling all you shoppers to look at harmanaudio.com first but you never listen, shee. And yes, I have shopped there more than once and I swear by that web site.
Old 01-05-02, 10:20 PM

By the way, Alfer, why don't you use the auto-power on/off function? I used to keep it on 24/7, but then tried the powersave mode. Just curious what you thought of it.
Hey Cript...

I tried auto on/off for a while, but it always shut off during quiet parts of movies, and when the LFE was needed, it (the sub)had a slight delay when it kicked back on. That's why I opted for 24/7.

Alfer
Old 01-05-02, 10:48 PM
Cool New Member

JBL subwoofers are suckeee, suckeee!!! Almost all the 10" and 12" subs die after about 15 months, as did my PSW-D110. JBL denies any problem with them. Just check out www.audioreview.com search for PSW-D112 and see for yourself.
Old 01-06-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Cript...

I tried auto on/off for a while, but it always shut off during quiet parts of movies, and when the LFE was needed, it (the sub)had a slight delay when it kicked back on. That's why I opted for 24/7.

Alfer
Ah, I see. Yeah, I'd read about that too, but heard that only happened when you played the DVDs at low volume (like at night).
Old 01-06-02, 10:18 AM

Alfer
I've had a Sony for just over a year and I'm very happy with it's performance. It's mostly used for home theater, but I also use it for music with good results. For the $$$ I don't think you can do better. There are better subs but not in your price range.
Old 01-06-02, 02:21 PM

anyone know about the sony sa-wm20. it's the model right below the sa-wm40. is it that much worse or what? i'm tempted to get the sa-wm40, but the lowest price i've seen is $170 delivered. shipping is a pain and if i could price match it somewhere, that would be great. does anyone know where i cn price match from online sites. thanks for the help !!
Old 01-08-02, 07:47 AM

Sony Speakers

I usually have a pretty good ear for speakers and in my opinion for the price, Sony is an excellent choice!, My home theater speaker system is currently all sony and I am especially pleased with the sub and front mains.
Old 01-08-02, 06:44 PM
Cool New Member

With that budget, the Sony SA-WM 40 is definately your best bet IMO. There ARE better subs, just not for the price. I haven't heard too much about the Sa-wm 20, I'd try to go for the 40 if I were you.

You might also want to head over to http://www.audioreview.com There's some BS in there, but also alot of good reviews.

Some stores (Sears) will pricematch some online stores, but stores will always include the shipping as part of the total cost.

Aldieb