Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Budget DVD Player Recommendation's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just Purchased The Sony SAVA-700 Home Theater Active Speaker System and I am Looking for the best DVD player to go with it.

The Models I have Looked at are

Sony DVP-S 500 D (199.99)

Sony DVP-NS700P (239.99) on sale

Sony DVP-NS400D (199.99) Open Box

I also glanced at a Technics Open Box that retails for about 330 it was a bronze Color Didn't catch the Number on it, it was going for 239.00

I want the best DVD player for the 5.1 on the Speakers and that will last, Costing up to $250

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-03-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happened to your Phillips 950?
Old 01-03-02, 03:39 PM

hehe this was posted for a friend, should have mentioned that in the 1st post sorry.
Old 01-03-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nismo Nate
hehe this was posted for a friend, should have mentioned that in the 1st post sorry.
That's cool.

Sorry nobody helped you with that one (yet). Feel free to bump it (add a post to bring it back to the top) if it falls out of view.

In your budget range, the most important thing to look for in a player are: features, reliability. In my opinion, of course.

I'd recommend looking at players from Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony, and Panasonic. Other people like JVC (but I have concerns about reliability that are admittedly based on past dvd player model years and a couple other pieces of JVC equipment).

Some questions for you:

Do you need/want to play CDRs? MP3s? DVD-Audio?
Do you have a progressive-capable display (or foresee getting one in the future)?
Does the remote that comes with your system control a Sony dvd player? Is there some other reason you're mainly focusing on Sony?
Old 01-03-02, 10:22 PM

Thanks for looking out for the little guy Stevevt

Me and my Bud went to Good Guys tonight and he bought the Technics DVD A10 - Open Box for 279.00

We didn't really know if it was good but by looking at all of it's features, and mainly the 5.1 sound he was looking for he went for it.

Now we just hooked it up, but there is something we aren't understanding with the 5.1 and surround. My buddy is going to post this questing in a new thread, if anyone has any knowledge of these models purchased from above please help.