Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PSB AlphaC x 5 and Sony SA-WM40 x 1 (is this acceptable?)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking around and found a deal on the PSB Alpha C speakers for $175 each. In looking around I saw that even though they are rated as "center channel" speakers, they work for the full quintet package. I also have looked around and for the price, seen that the sawm40 subwoofer by sony is a bang for the buck.
My question is this:

Is it worth buying 5 Alpha C speakers and a sony sawm40 subwoofer, or should I be looking at other deals out there. The package would come to a little over $1100 dollars with tax.

Is there better speaker sets for the price?

I have a Sony DE845 (I think that is the model) receiver to plug all this stuff into.

My wife doesn't understand the need for surround sound speakers since we are running just two speakers currently. But I wanted to move the speakers upstairs and throw in a new set of 5.1 speakers. I think I can bring the price of $1100 under her radar, but want to make sure that I get a good deal and am not out next year looking for another set of speakers.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-30-01, 06:46 PM

alpha centers a little cheaper here at YAWA

i just got this package with 4 A/Vs and the Alpha center for about $500 shipped.

sound is excellent :-)

saw sa-wm40 here for 175 shipped.

Last edited by bosox; 12-30-01 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-31-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bosox-

Note that the Alpha C and the Alpha Center are different speakers.

Enkida-

Nothing wrong with the Alpha C but I think there are better choices for the price. Here are some options in the PSB line:

PSB Image 2B at $299 a pair. Although I like the Alpha sound, I believe the Image series is a nice step up in sound quality. And they cost less.

PSB Image 9C at $299 each is a great matching powerful center speaker.

Also consider spending more money on the sub. The Sony is great for the price, but the sound quality of the PSB Image speakers match better with a higher end sub. The PSB Image Subsonic 6 at $450 is a great choice.
Old 12-31-01, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree the Image Series 2B is a great speaker. The 9C is also nice. It's also quite large. Depending upon the size of the room and your set, the 8C may work for you.

I agree with Skar that it might be better to step up to the Subsonic 5 or 6, especially if you plan on listening to music with your system.

I have extensively listened to both movies and music using the 2B, 8C, Subsonic 5 combo with an Onkyo and they sound great.
Old 12-31-01, 11:00 AM

oops
Old 12-31-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm confused...why would you buy five center channel speakers when you could get a center channel and two pairs of satellites for a cheaper price (and get better quality)?

Great sub, BTW.