Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good/Quality/Reliable Receiver Choice - HELP?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-19-01, 09:54 AM
kdc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been surfing all different kinds of home theater forums looking at the different pro's and con's of A/V receivers out there, but have yet to pull the trigger on selection. I have since used
a Sony STR-DE935 Receiver that has the basic Dolby Pro Logic, but I am way over due for a receiver upgrade that has the works (DPL II, DTS, DD, etc.) to properly power a 5.1 Mirage Speaker setup (OM series) for my home theater room (12 X 24). I have yet to feel the urge to leap for a 7.1 setup because I am satisfied with my current set up, just not with my receiver. Is there any recommendations you can give on receiver choices that will bring my room/speakers to life? I am looking for a receiver that can properly amplify the size room I have with distinctive sound separation abilites. I hear and see all the popular names (Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, HK, PE, etc.) but with all the different wattage choices that increases the selection base by at least 3 choices per manufacturer. I only need ONE!!
Old 12-19-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome.

You did not specify a budget or a room size so I will give my general opinions.

I prefer Sony ES to the regular Sony line, better warranty and build quality.

The other brands you mentioned are all good choices but a model will depend on how much power you need and the features you are looking for.

Maybe this thread will spark more specific suggestions for you!
Old 12-19-01, 12:31 PM
kdc

I did mention the room size, (correction: its 14 X 24). I am using a 5.1 set up with Mirage speakers (490i- mains, OMC3-Center, OMR2-Rear Surrounds, FRx-10 Sub). As for price range I don't want to go over $1000, and as for power, that's exactly my dilemma, how much is too much or what is too little (wattage). I just want a properly matched receiver for the kind of speakers I use with the right amount of power for my sized room, that doesn't exceed $1000 bucks.
Old 12-19-01, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I apologize. I did not notice the dimensions.

Here are some good options that might fit your requirements.

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_13708.htm

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...TRD3ES&o=P&a=0

Personally I have owned two Sony ES receivers and have liked them alot. I also have experience with Yamaha products and like their design.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-01, 09:24 PM
Banned

For under $1000 you should be able to pick up a Denon 3802 or any remaining 3801s out there for real cheap. These are 7.1 receivers but you can just use them in 5.1 mode.
Old 12-19-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure you have the model number of your Sony receiver correct? The STR-DE935 has Dolby Digital and DTS, not just Pro-Logic. It's either the top of the DE line or close to it.
Old 12-20-01, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's your price range? I'd recommend a good Onkyo receiver...like the TX-DS595, 676, 696 or 777.

Old 12-20-01, 01:00 PM
kdc

I went to my local a/v store and looked at the Denon models (3802 & 2802) both sound clean, but i need to do some research to find out the differences other than wattage and one being a 7.1 and the other being 6.1. Pretty much the same goes for those Onkyo models you listed, again i need to find out the differences of each model. I went by CC to look at the Onkyo's but they only had the 494 and a 575 (they looked old), but in there so called quality room they only had one receiver working, a HK AVR510 set up. I wasn't blown over by it just after listening to the Denon. I might have to do a double purchase and test two equivalent denon & onkyo models at home and take back the one i don't like. What's the onkyo equivalent of the 3802 and the 2802?
Old 12-20-01, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Denon, Onkyo and Marantz are the best choices
Old 12-20-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't get too hung up on the power ratings; with few exceptions these tend to be so over rated and use so many calculation methods, that comparisions are meangingless.

If DPLII isn't a hard requirement, you might also consider the Outlaw which is about $500 or one of the refurb NAD's; both of which are a good match for your speakers and excellent bargins.

http://www.yawaonline.com/receivers.html
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1050.html

A bit more than your stated budget is the Rotel RSX-972 (which gets little air play here, but is an outstanding product).

Last edited by audrey; 12-20-01 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-21-01, 05:33 PM
etp

List of receivers

List!!!

Not in any order!!!

1.sony 1075=6 channels=$389(built cheap but oK)
2. sony da3es=6 channels=$759???
3. sony da 5es=6 channels?=$1100(may be the new king)
4. denon 3802=7 channels=$700(chip problem rumor????)(good reviews)
5. Harmon Kardon 520=5 channels??=$619(well built)
6. Pioneer 909s=6 channels=$620( a good contender)
7. Pioneer 850=6 channels=$300(runs a little hot but ok)
8. Onkyo 797=6 channels=$747(perfect)
9. Onkyo 898=7 channels=$1079(perfect)
10. JVC 9=5 channels=$610
11. Pioneer 37=5 or 6 channels?= $765
12. kenwood 5080= 5 channels?= $725
13. Yamaha 2200= 6 channels=$869(excellent)

ps/there may be a decoding chip problem for 6 channel operation on the new receivers for some DVD's. I have read several reports on this issue and feel that maybe the new Sony 5es may be worth a look since it has just come out and may have more current hardware. Maybe//who knows!!!!

Ok//add and edit this list guys!!!!!!

Go to yahoo shopping/pricegrabber and do price searches for current low price. Most good companys will do a price match. JR will and ecost.
Also most of these units that do not have dolby2 will have a built in system that does the same thing. I am looking at the new Sony line (3/5es) and Onkyo(797/898)
Although the pioneer 909s looks interesting

http://www.nextag.com/Receivers~5000...z3ozmainz5-htm

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...3191bb978e34ed

http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=bro...0350341&clink=

Brand new factory sealed in the box. Sony STR-DA3ES Surround Sound Receiver. If you crave absolutely breathtaking realism and subtlety for all your music and movie sound, Sony ES has the answer! The STR-DA3ES employs three 32-bit processors for ultra-precise surround decoding and DSP. It also offers an incredible arsenal of surround sound options: built-in decoding for Dolby Digital, DTS, and 6.1-encoded sources, plus Sony's Virtual Matrix 6.1 and Digital Cinema Sound modes. For maximum purity with analog signals (like the output from an SACD player), stereo, 5.1-channel and 7.1-channel analog direct modes bypass all DSP. The STR-DA3ES also offers heavy-duty amplification: 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 6; wide-range response out to 100kHz (great for SACD); high-linearity power capacitors for smooth, expressive audio; and a high-capacity power supply. The sixth channel of power lets you hook up a back surround speaker to complete a seamless 360° soundfield. A learning, multibrand remote with macros gives you easy system control from your couch. Dual-source capability means you and your housemates can enjoy different sources simultaneously in different rooms! And check out the impeccable ES construction: frame-and-beam chassis, short signal paths, eight channels' worth of 192kHz/24-bit D/A conversion, non-linear heat sink fins to fight resonance — attention to every detail, inside and out! With this level of commitment to quality, it's no wonder Sony backs the STR-DA3ES with a full 5-year warranty. Suggested retail: $1000.00

Brand new factory sealed in the box. Sony STR-DA5ES surround sound receiver. Are you ready for Sony ES? The STR-DA5ES offers world-class processing and amplification, elegant construction, true upgradability, and a five-year warranty! Employing three 32-bit processors, this rock-solid receiver provides ultra-precise surround decoding for DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic II, plus Sony's Virtual Matrix 6.1 and Digital Cinema Sound modes. For maximum purity with analog signals (like the output from an SACD player), stereo, 5.1-channel and 7.1-channel analog direct modes bypass all DSP. The STR-DA5ES boasts some serious amplification, too: 110 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 6; wide-range response out to 100kHz (great for SACD); high-linearity power capacitors for smooth, expressive audio; and a high-capacity power supply. The sixth channel of power lets you hook up a back surround speaker to complete a seamless 360° soundfield. You also get a versatile 2-way LCD remote that puts control menus, radio station names, and CD titles (from compatible Sony changers) right in the palm of your hand. And three-room, three-source capability means you and two other housemates can all enjoy different sources simultaneously in different rooms. There's even a dedicated remote for the second room! And check out the impeccable ES construction: frame-and-beam chassis, short signal paths, eight channels' worth of 192kHz/24-bit D/A conversion, non-linear heat sink fins to fight resonance — attention to every detail, inside and out! It even has an RS-232C port to enable future upgrades!

Last edited by SIMPSONEARL; 12-22-01 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-21-01, 06:25 PM
etp

Speakers!!!

This always starts a fight. Just get what you like. My opinion and only my opinion. JBL 312 or Cerwin vega 715 for your mains. I did this and am happy as a************. I also bought the JBL 28's for my center channels. You can get the vegas for $300 each with free shipping(I got a lcl price match) of the JBL's for $259 with free shipping.

Clean real bass is important to me and only me from all of my surround channels. My personal preference. My family room is hudge/so these may be too big for your quaters.
With these you use a flat equalizer setup and turn the tweeters and midrange controls on the speakers up one detent.