DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Ntsc TV........

Old 12-17-01, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ntsc TV........

Hi.
I guess this may be a stupid question but I hope that someone can help me anyway.......
I currently own a standard NTSC tv and was wondering if there is any way to maybe modify it to play PAL signal too(as I'm moving to Europe soon!!) or will I have to throw it out and purchase a new one (which I don't really want to do as it is quite a new tv).

Any help will be gratefully received...
Thanks.
Old 12-17-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know if you can convert a TV but you can convert a PAL/SECAM signal to NTSC. You will also have to convert the power. Europe runs on a 50Hz power system the US is on 60Hz.
Old 12-17-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably better off buying a new TV when you get to Europe. An NTSC-to-PAL converter will cost you about $600, and I would imagine that shipping something as big and heavy as a TV to Europe could be pretty expensive.
Old 12-17-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'll also save on the hospital bills when the TV blows up because of the different voltages they use over there in their demi-retarded electrical systems.

Besides, most of the new TVs I saw over there were widescreen, nary a 4:3 set to be found.

Mmmmmm, widescreen. Good luck in Europe, Big Guy!
Old 12-17-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fanboy
You'll also save on the hospital bills when the TV blows up because of the different voltages they use over there in their demi-retarded electrical systems.
Voltage converters are pretty common. I would say that the power supply is not a concern.
Old 12-20-01, 11:25 PM

converters.....

Delivering the tv to Europe is no problem(my company will pay for all transportation!!!!!!!!!!!)

So what is the verdict on these "convertors"any cop????Worth the money????Easy to get a hold of????

I know that PAL gives a better picture( I used to live in the UK)....And these days have many more of the DVD"s I want...

Just my sh***y luck that I have to move to countries where there is a conflict in tc signals.....
Old 12-23-01, 01:34 AM

I would strongly suggest you buy a new set when you get there. Firstly, you would not have to search for a reliable voltage converter. Secondly, a color converter isn't cheap and is very hard to find (an NTSC to Pal is more common). Thirdly, you cannot receive on-air Pal broadcasts on your NTSC TV.
Old 12-23-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NTSC it really stands for N-never T-the S-same C-color.