Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Plasma burn in problem! What to believe??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, as of now I have 3 Panasonic plasmas. A 58" from 2009, and 46" from last year and a 42" from 2011.

I've never had anything but plasma and love the picture.

I take very good care of them and have never paused a movie or channel for more than a few minutes. I've never left a channel on all night with a static image.

So, if you believe what most "experts" say, there's no way that I should have actual burn in...but I do on the 58". It's a news banner logo and it's been there for 6 months and it hasn't faded a bit.

I'm leaning towards buying a Samsung 64" plasma, but it's $3,000 and I can't lie. I'm scared now.

But here's the kicker. I wrote to Panasonic HQ to tell them and they responded back that burn in doesn't need to be caused by pausing a static image for a long time, nor does it need to happen from leaving a channel on for many, many, many hours (overnight or longer if you believe the people who write the review to get permanent burn-in like I have), but the good people at Panasonic wrote to me that watching the same channel over years, not at once, can also lead to burn in.

So, if you watch a lot of ESPN, you don't just have to worry about the logo from watching a really long game or if you watch cable news, you don't have to worry about the banner if you watch ALL DAY, but they told me it's cumulative. If you watch a lot of ESPN, even if it's not all at one time, you're likely to get it says Panasonic.

They actually told me that people should use what they called the 15% rule. No more than 15% of any day should be viewed of channels with any kind of static image (logo, banner, etc). So, if you think about what they just told me, they're basically saying 85% of your plasma use should be movies.

HUH??

I can't find anyone, no matter how conservative/cautious of a reviewer, who says anything like that. I've never heard anything like this until now. It doesn't even seem reasonable. Unless your plasma is going into a home theater room, it would be completely impractical to own one if you could only watch 15% of your viewing on channels with no logos or banners of any kind. Forget all the network channels, Comedy Central, AMC, ESPN...pretty much everything on television. However you can spend 85% of your time streaming Netflix, watching HBO and watching blu-rays. I have the message right from Panasonic.

And it would explain why I have burn in when I know I didn't do the things most every expert says you have to do. I have watched a news channel more than any other news channel over the last 5 years and if this cumulative thing is to be believed, it doesn't matter that the viewing was spread out and mixed up with lots of movies and other channels.

I'm not sure what to think anymore. It's making me very nervous about buying this Samsung plasma.

What does everyone here think? Is Panasonic full of it? What about my burn in? I did not leave the channel on for hours in a row or paused. What person who even owns one plasma as their primary television can watch 85% of their content on channels with no static image at all?
Old 07-30-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts
Re: Plasma burn in problem! What to believe??

I've not heard of the 85% "rule" but it does makes sense if you own a plasma to watch mostly movies on it. I certainly wouldn't buy a plasma if my intent was to watch mostly TV with logos, bugs, banners, etc. Those images *are* static for long periods of time, and it does make sense in a way that a lot of such watching over months and years likely could lead to a burn-in issue.
Old 07-30-14, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I've not heard of the 85% "rule" but it does makes sense if you own a plasma to watch mostly movies on it. I certainly wouldn't buy a plasma if my intent was to watch mostly TV with logos, bugs, banners, etc. Those images *are* static for long periods of time, and it does make sense in a way that a lot of such watching over months and years likely could lead to a burn-in issue.
Thanks. I had no idea about this. I knew plasma was best for watching movies, but didn't think it was meant for almost exclusively watching movies.

I mean, even if it's a 50/50 split between movies and television, it now seems like you're asking for the trouble I'm now in with burn in after 4 1/2 years when I've done none of the things you read people need to do to cause burn in. Watch the same channel for an obscene amount of hours, fall asleep with a static image on and pausing for a long time. I never did any of that. But we do watch a lot of television and that seems to be the problem.

My biggest worry about LED is going to be motion. I hear even with the 960 effective it claims, that it's really bad.

I mean, we still have plasmas in the bedroom and guest room and I can get used to the LED look, but motion during sports sucking? It's like G-d hates me or something.

Anyone know about the Samsung 65" 7150? It's $2100 and I might wait for a sale. It's not got the micro-dimming but if I'm going to be slightly disappointed with the change, I'm not dropping 3000 grand on an LED that isn't 4k and the 2014 model is curved and $2700. UGH.
Old 07-31-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you calibrate the TVs with a setup disc? Esp the contrast setting?