Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

how would u rate jbl HT?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

how would u rate jbl HT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how would u rate jbl HT?

hey all,
im wondering if ne one is fond of JBL Northridge series speakers. are they good? are there ne better than those? thnx
Old 11-29-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really that hard to type out the word any?

JBL speakers used to be some of the best on the market...30 years ago. I still have a pair of JBL100s bought in 1970 that sound awesome.

As far as the Northridge line is concerned I think they sound good for what they are and for what most average listeners out there need for a home-theater setup, for that price range. Would I personally buy them? No, but sound is very important to me and there is so much out there that sounds so much better, but of course you are going to have to pay for that.
Old 11-29-01, 12:02 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

On several forums, HTF in particular, the N24's are highly reguarded. They even go so far as to say they will beat out speakers that cost several 100 dollars more, for home theater. I did go and give these an audition.

The only place I could find them was BB, so the listening room wasn't great, and I was suprised at the quality, but it was definitly not enough to make me give up my Altecs, I love them to death.

I would say that they are a pretty good product for the money.
Old 11-29-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO, JBL speakers sound good, but not great. They are inexpensive and provide good value. However a handful of companies such as PSB, Paradigm, Mirage, B&W, Def Tech, and Energy make much better sounding speakers for a modest increase in price.
Old 12-02-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar
IMO, JBL speakers sound good, but not great. They are inexpensive and provide good value. However a handful of companies such as PSB, Paradigm, Mirage, B&W, Def Tech, and Energy make much better sounding speakers for a modest increase in price.
Wow, I did not know it was a fact that all the brands you mentioned are "much better sounding" Have you actually auditioned the new JBL lines in your home on a properly calibrated system or for that matter all of the other brands you mentioned? Define "much better sounding" for all of the speakers you mentioned. It is one thing to repeat what other owners on the internet proclaim, and it is another thing to test yourself.

JBL with their new lines are putting out a top notch product at some of the best prices around. For a five speaker system the Northridge series will run you about a hundred dollars less than the Energys will. The studio series which I own (s38s) also provide a great value. I challange anyone to find a better performer then the s38 which can be had for 300 a pair.

Before I purchased my s38's, I auditioned B&W 600 series, Energy and Infinity, and I ended up going for the JBL's....why you ask? They had the best extension out of all the speakers auditioned and also the smoothest soundstage for me (though some may not like titanium dome tweeters). As these speakers have become broken in, they have become much more warm and inviting then I thought they ever could accomplish.

I always say let your ears be the final judge. You may ultimately not like JBL or any other brand for that matter, but it does not make sense to make broad generalizations about sound quality when it is all subjective.

J
Old 12-03-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Master J

Wow, I did not know it was a fact that all the brands you mentioned are "much better sounding"

I always say let your ears be the final judge. You may ultimately not like JBL or any other brand for that matter, but it does not make sense to make broad generalizations about sound quality when it is all subjective.

J
First off, I clearly stated that my comments are just my opinions. Secondly, this thread is asking forum users to make a generalization about sound quality.

I did mention that they sound good and provide good value. I wish JBL was found in stores with knowledge sales people and nice rooms to audition the speakers in.
Old 12-03-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar

First off, I clearly stated that my comments are just my opinions. Secondly, this thread is asking forum users to make a generalization about sound quality.

I did mention that they sound good and provide good value. I wish JBL was found in stores with knowledge sales people and nice rooms to audition the speakers in.
My post was not ment to be a jab of any sort but instead an inquiry as to why the other speakers you mentioned sound much better. Alot of people just make statements like "so and so a brand is better", "bose sucks", etc. without telling why.

It is your opinion that the other speakers are better, but what exactly does each speaker offer to your ears that is better than JBL? Maybe something along the lines, "Energy is warmer sounding", or "JBL is more harsh than PSB" for example. I know the speakers you mentioned cannot all be found at one dealer or for that matter any dealer in alot of areas, so it comes down to opinions on the sound quality from others (if mail ordering) or sometimes long trips which could be avoided if someone knows right from the get go Energy's are extremely bright on music for example so they can eliminate the trip in the first place.

J
Old 12-04-01, 05:29 AM
etp

First two JBL's

I just bought two n28's for the center channel. I have to say price v. quality they are the best!!!

Two thumbs up!!!!