Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-01, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with set-up?

I just got a new TV - GREAT NEWS. Finally got a TV with some inputs and outputs. This means I can ditch the RF modulator. The only thing is that I don't know where to begin re-hooking everything up.
At first I just figured that I would undo one TV, and pull the plugs that were going into the RF and put them in the TV, but I can't really do that. Actually, I can, but then I still would not have my receiver picking up the audio from the satellite.
Anyways, I was wondering if you anyone here knows of a website that kind of lays out how everything should be hooked up for highest quality and efficiency. I know I have seen these for a speaker set-up, but what about Home Theatre Set-Up.

TV w/ S-Video, and multiple outputs and inputs
VCR
DVD player with S-Video
Receiver with everything
Satellite receiver

That's what I got, and I know that it should be easier than I'm making it, but when I started working on it, I had no luck.

Thanks for any help,

Scott
Old 11-24-01, 11:46 PM

Scotty,

I know how frustrating it can be to hook up your HT equipment, especially when you have a lot of it and are working in cramped spaces. Here are two good general hookup guides, the first is at Monster Cable's website and allows you to take a look at hookups for different types of equipment, the second is Onkyo's manual URL where you can view receiver hookup diagrams for Onkyo receivers, which should be generally the same for your receiver. In both cases I'd STRONGLY advise downloading/opening them in Adobe Acrobat so you can print them out and view them while you're working.

Monser Cable Hookup Guide

Onkyo Receiver Manuals

Hope this helps!
Old 11-26-01, 07:49 AM

Thanks Neush,

I got everything hooked up and all is well. I did decide to ditch the VCR, since we hardly ever use it anymore. I figured that if we did need to play a tape, we can plug it in on the front of the receiver or the TV, both of which have front A/V inputs on the front of the units.
Again, thanks for you help, I really found those sites useful.

Scott