Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

1,000,000 + DVD players sold this week?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After going through the ads for post Thanksgiving sales and seeing that every major store that sells DVD Players has a $69.00 DVD player, this has got to be the week that player sales finally exceed 1 million units. Heck, it might even approach 2 million. What does everyone else think?
Old 11-23-01, 11:14 AM

It won't hit 2 million but I'd be surprised if we don't get close to 1 million. I saw one guy at CC that had 5 of those Apex DVD players. Another woman wanted one and he pointed her over to where he had gotten them and she came back with 2 of the 3-DVD Apex Players instead. Similar story at BB and Walmart.
Old 11-23-01, 11:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's amazing. 5 years after VHS came out you couldn't get a VCR for under $100. The times they are a-changing.
Old 11-23-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not only are there some ultra cheap players everywhere but several very well thought of companies have out players for just a little over $100. I picked up a Toshiba SD1700 for my folks at BB for $129 and with the 10 free Hollywood video DVD rentals that come with it (I didn't even know about them until I paid for it and the register spat out all this paper), it in effect takes the price down to around $100. I was tempted by the cheap new Apex models but there's no data on their reliabilty at all and since I'd probably been the one who'd have lugged the thing back to be worked on, I picked them out a Toshiba, which is solid as a rock reliability-wise. I also saw a Magnavox and Samsung at BB for a similar price and a Hitachi at Sam's for about $10 more. If you're looking for a cheap, good player for someone else or as a backup, this is the winter for getting it.
Old 11-24-01, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these things are selling for great prices. this is when people who don't really care about technology will go ahead and get one because they are as cheap as vcr's and they are curious to see what all the hype is.
Old 11-25-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
It's amazing. 5 years after VHS came out you couldn't get a VCR for under $100. The times they are a-changing.
That's because there's a big difference between a DVD player and VCR. A VCR has many small intricate moving parts and is more difficult to manufacture. 5 years after VCR's came out they were still heavy behemoths that featured top loading manual ejection.

DVD players have very few moving parts and are mainly circuit boards. Easy and inexpensive to assemble.
Old 11-25-01, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by renaldow

That's because there's a big difference between a DVD player and VCR. A VCR has many small intricate moving parts and is more difficult to manufacture. 5 years after VCR's came out they were still heavy behemoths that featured top loading manual ejection.

DVD players have very few moving parts and are mainly circuit boards. Easy and inexpensive to assemble.
You would think that would be an advantage but just 1 year after I bought my Sony DVD player it has started to malfunction. I have 2 VCR's "with many small intricate moving parts" that are still working flawlessly after 7 and 12 years!

And they appear to be "easy and inexpensive to assemble" but they still charge $150 to do any repair work.

I suspect some percentage of the "2 million" DVD players sold this year will be to people like me who have to replace one they bought last year.

Last edited by photo_guy; 11-25-01 at 01:06 PM.