Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Converting Master Bedroom into Theater room -- need advice/tips/etc.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-16-01, 05:53 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the big commitment. Getting married? No. I purchased a house recently.

So I went threw all the paperwork, signed this and that and got my key on a Saturday morning. I'm standing in the living room and thinking of how to set up each room. And then it hit me. Turn the master bedroom into my own personal home theater room. I have all the hardware:
  • Sony KP-57HW40 57" TV
  • Denon AVR-5800
  • DefTech's BP2006TL fronts
  • DefTech's C/L/R 2300 center
  • DefTech's BP2X rears
  • Pioneer DV-606D
  • MonsterPower HTS 5000 PowerCenter

Hell, I even have a nice black leather sofa. Here's my problem... where can I find nice furniture like the entertainment center you might see at a Good Guys demo room? I've seen the pictures in Home Theater Magazine and I don't want a theater room that *looks* like a theater. What I want is a room that feel more like a its a part of the home that's comfortable, warn and cozy but when someone enters it and watches a movie it's theater quality.

Anyone have any decorative ideas? If you could point out any websites and/or magazine for dedicated home theater room decorating ideas, I would be appreciative. Keep in mind I want a homey feel, not a true theater feel.

Also is there any really nice wall material that will help muffle sound? I don't want to upset the neighbors or the hood.

Thanks!

Last edited by kxmode; 11-16-01 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-16-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I were you I would frame a wall at one end of the room and build your equipment into the wall. It's a nice clean look.
Old 11-16-01, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like this is your first home. My advise -- don't do it. You'll have trouble selling the home down the road and/or you'll regret the hassles involved in restoring it back into it's original form so you can sell it.

I'd sleep in the Master and convert another room into the theater. JMO.
Old 11-16-01, 03:12 PM

AVSForum has a forum dedicated to home theater construction:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=19

I dont' know what Good Guys' demo room look like, but I would agree with MrVette99 that if this is the house's "master bedroom", don't over-build because people tend want to sleep in the master bedroom.

Beeeil
Old 11-16-01, 04:00 PM
Suspended

palebluedot: huh? I don't understand what you mean.

Beeeil & MrVette99: Good points! Except I plan on living in this house for a long time. Hopefully even pay it off. I don't think I'll be married anytime soon. It's basically me in this 3-bed/2 bath/2 car garage 1250+ sq ft house. My love and hobby is DVDs, film and theater hardware. Personally I feel more at ease and happier sleeping in one of the regular bedrooms and have the master bedroom as my theater. Using the master bedroom because it's called the master bedroom just to sleep in seems like a lot of wasted space. But of course this is just my opinion. I will definitely keep your guy's points in mind when I work on it. I'll try to keep the amount of work I would need to do down to a minimal. The only major thing I can think of that might be an issue is the television on the carpet. It's 375 lbs. It will leave a huge impression. I'll place in a spot where a king size bed might go in the future.

Besides there are added advantages of turning a master bedroom into your theater, if you can do it. For one, when strangers come a knocking on your door and you accidently open the door at least they can't see ANY of your toys. Second, for a house with only one living room (like mine), this is a great way of keeping this room formal and not mucking it up with electronics. I personally like when I visit someone's house and they segregate their electronics from their living room. My personal opinion is electronics are not good formal furniture and mess up the look of a living room. They're not in their element. They need to be with other electronics to look nice. Third, it's a nice way to have some privacy. My house sits on what is known as a zero-lot line. What this means is my neighbor's house to my right makes up part of my fence. And likewise my house makes up part of my left-side neighbor's fence. Being so close to one another like this makes privacy a little harder to accomplish.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited by kxmode; 11-16-01 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-16-01, 04:37 PM

I think some of the most beautiful and most economical (relatively speaking) A/V furniture can be found here:

http://www.bellointl.com/default1.htm

You can't buy directly from the company, but their products can be found in many high end electronics stores.

Good luck, and post some pictures once you're all done
Old 11-16-01, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by kxmode
... But of course this is just my opinion. I will definitely keep your guy's points in mind when I work on it.
This is your own house after all, so your opinion is everything!! Your enjoyment of your home is most important of all.

Actually I wasn't advocating moving the home theather out of the master bedroom. I was talking about not to build-up one side of the bedroom for home theater equipment as suggested by palebluedot.

What he suggested was to build up the wall so you'll have a perfect recess for your large-screen TV. I think that's a beautiful idea as it would be very elegent and would hide all the wires which is always desirable. But for a master bedroom you may find it too pernment because if you get a different TV or want to move it to another room, you'll have a huge hole in the wall (literally).

I initially didn't see your equipment list. Personally I am a front-projector person, but that's a nice TV you've got there!

Here is a page with a bunch of pictures of home theater that can give you some ideas of what others are doing:

Digital Theater Gallery

Beeeil
Old 11-16-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by kxmode
palebluedot: huh? I don't understand what you mean.
Make a wall out of 2x4s(this is called framing) cover the walls with drywall(sheetrock). This makes a wall. Now cut holes out of the wall and sheetrock and make shelves to accomodate your equipment. You can do this for about the same cost as decent furniture for your equipment(possibly less) and it has a very nice clean look to it. Dress it up nice with some trim pieces, some moulding at the top, maybe even a soffet with recessed lighting(if you want to get fancy).

Something like this in the link below(but a better job than this guy did) and I would build the speakers into the wall as well.

I would do the exact same thing for my setup but I rent.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/au...s/Dscf0022.jpg
Old 11-16-01, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the idea, but heck no! The last thing I want to do is make holes and cut stuff. I'll go for a minimalistic approach. Luckily this will be a dedicated theater room. Just on that token it'll rock.

****, I gotta get out of here (work @ 7pm)! Gotta start packing all my stuff.

By the way thanks for that url Beeeil. I know those pictures don't do the owner's setup any justice, but to me it seemed like the coolest setups were the hardcore, full-on dedicated theater rooms. My master bedroom is big, but not that big. It does have one thing I really really like. Above the duel-sliding door closet is a nice 5 ft loft. In the ceiling above this very nice lights. The ledge of the loft can easily hold a few plants as well as my rear speakers. Or I can just mount them on the wall itself. Options, options *evil grin*
Old 11-18-01, 02:04 PM

What do you mean you turn your bedroom into a hometheater? You can only turn your hometheater into your bedroom. At least that's what happened to me. After building a hometheater in the basement I haven't slept one single night in my bedroom. I dragged my matress there and I've never slept so good. I'm not kidding. That's about 5 months! It's a good idea to get that AV rack and put all your equipment there. I wasn't able to do that and it still bothers me. It's so much better looking.