DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I throw the disc away?

Old 11-18-01, 12:34 PM

Should I throw the disc away?

I have a Pioneer DV606D player which has never had a glitch, played movies and discs that other people claim they had problems with on their machines, until recently I have begun to have some problems. Minor ones are an occaisional freeze of movies that have never given problems before, and a couple of slowdowns (partial freeze, then resume playing). Today though, I had a disc (Toy Story 2) that refused to play. The machine tried DVD mode, then CD mode, then opened up the drawer. I cleaned the disc (it looked clean, but I wanted to make sure), and same thing happened. Other discs work fine. So I guess I have 2 questions ...
1) Is my Toy Story 2 disc probably no good?
2) Should I try cleaning my player? I do live in a very dusty house, but I don't want to clean things that don't need cleaning, especially with the other threads that talk about not cleaning unless there are significant problems.
Thanks.
Old 11-18-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't throw out Toy Story 2 it is probably fine. It sounds as if the other problems were with other discs, if I understand you correctly. If your machine is giving you that much trouble I would have it cleaned. Try TS2 in another machine, a friends or a store that sells similar models. Although it never had a glitch, that could change at any time and thats what seems to be happening.
Old 11-18-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that this sounds like a player problem, not a disc problem, but I'm less optimistic that cleaning will help. I think it's more likely that your player needs to be serviced. The pick-up could need to be aligned or replaced.