DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is there a dvd player under $100 bucks???

Old 11-17-01, 11:35 PM

Is there a dvd player under $100 bucks???

Sorry if a repeat question. I went through a few pages to find the answer and couldn't.
I'm on a tight budget and want to get my brother a dvd player for X-mas. I have seen a
few under $100, but wanted to know if they would be worth a darn. My brother would be
pumped to get one and he just needs one to play dvds. No cdr, etc. I'm not even worried too much about the remote. I just want it to play all dvds without much of a hitch. Any
recommendations 1st on the player and 2nd on where to get?

I did see someone mention Wal-mart having cheaper ones, but wanted to ask my forum buddies. thanks

David
Old 11-18-01, 01:05 AM
0ne

Apex 3201, Mintek has 2 players ~100, Daewoo has one as well as Oritron and KLH.
Old 11-18-01, 04:36 AM

Does anyone know which of these is the best for the value? Has anyone had good luck with these?
Thanks
Old 11-18-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I saw a Curtis Mathis DVD player at KMart the other day for $97
Old 11-18-01, 04:42 PM

I guess Wally World and K-mart are good places to check out. Maybe Best Buy and Circuit City too!
Old 11-18-01, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can spend a bit more than a hundred, get the entry level unit from Toshiba. Last year I got a couple for gifts right around the 100 mark after coupons at 800.com. SO far I have not seen many delas this year online for the holidays, but some may come.

J
Old 11-18-01, 10:28 PM

Thanks Master J. I have seen a few Pioneers and Panasonic for $120-130 bucks, but I'm really tapped at that 90-100 level. That is the reason for my post. We set limits in my family and we are already going over it, but hey what can they do.

I have to admit I am worried about the cheap players only lasting a year or so. I was hoping to find someone who actually has the
Apex or Mintek player to see what kind of luck they have had.

Thanks
Old 11-20-01, 09:02 AM

if you spend $130 for the toshiba you will be happy for a long time.
if you spend $80-$100 on anything you will be happy for about a week
Old 11-20-01, 11:53 AM

Do you know this for sure dfreind. Have you owned one of the 90 dollar models. I've heard positive things from the Apex 1500
and know people who have had it over a week and are very pleased. In reality. I have a Panasonic that I paid 400 bucks for 3 years ago and the cheaper models have more features than mine. I just wanted to clarify a bad experience with the cheaper models because I have only heard positive so far.

Thanks for comments
Old 11-20-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dfriedland
if you spend $130 for the toshiba you will be happy for a long time.
if you spend $80-$100 on anything you will be happy for about a week
target has 90 day return... get a junky one there and if you don't like it return it.... they last longer than a week

i have the oritron and it is very "ghetto" but it plays dvd's... it works but its fast forward is wack on dvd's and it has no lcd just lights whichs makes it look junkier... but it can be set to region 0 and will still play RCE so its good for the room with the small tv and no HT.
Old 11-20-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you got a Sam's Club near you pick up a Daewoo DVG-5000N dvd player for $99. It is region free when you enter/hit 4 buttons on the remote and also macrovision free if you get the one with the right serial #'s.

Kahuna

Last edited by kahuna; 11-20-01 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 01:59 PM

Daewoo looks like the winner. It plays all 6 DVD regions even with RCE. It can be switched to play NTSC or Pal. It plays all video standards. VCD, XVCD, SVCD, XSVCD, MiniDVD, DVDc, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW. And don't forget Mp3s. (thx cdhelp.com for that info) and it's even silver which gives it a sleek look. Amazon has 99 bucks with free shipping and no tax. It looks like I found my player. It also has S-Video for the newer tvs. Excellent.

Thanks for everyones help
Old 11-21-01, 03:12 PM

Look like Daewoo DVG-5000N is very good for the money but can it play CD-R and CD-RW ... has anyone try it yet ... I have a GE that say it can play pretty much every thing on the box (include CD-R and CD-RW) but now I just discover in the manual it said it can't play CD-RW ... isn't deceptive advertisment ?
Old 11-21-01, 04:06 PM

I'm only going from a guy who rated it, but he said it played all the things I listed in the other post. I hope so, but it's not imparative. It's really only for movies, but I could see needing CD-Rs, etc.
Old 11-25-01, 01:09 AM

I bough my mom the $100 KLH player last Xmas and she's had no problems whatsoever. Some people are just satisfied with a "DVD player" sans all the bells and whistlesT They just want to pop a movie in, watch it, and return it to Blockbuster.
A lot of folks are just jaded, trust me, he'll be satisfied with whatever you buy him...