Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Buy a 16:9 set or a bigger 4:3 set?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've always dreamed of the day when I get a widescreen TV and in the spring I'm going to take the plunge and get a large screen set to upgrade my current Sony 32" VVega.
I'm planning to spend up to $2500 if I have to but would like to stay as close to $2k as I can. My viewing distance will be about 8.5' from the set. With that in mind I dont think I'd want to go too monstrous, a 55" set max (please let me know if I'm out of line with that thinking).

Anyway, as far as brands the new line of Toshiba's look really nice. But as far as a 16:9 or a 4:3 display is what I'm questioning. Honestly I dont watch very much cable TV, 85% of the use I would estimate to watching DVD's. Even with that in mind, I was in the store looking at some sets when I started to realize that a 53"-55" 4:3 set would give me about the same size picture for a widescreen movie as a 47"-50" 16:9 set. As far as pricing, a 53"-55" 4:3 set are similarly priced to 47"-50" 16:9 sets. Even though my main source will be DVD, there is material I'll be watching that is 4:3 and now I'm starting to think that to maximize my potential for 4:3 material it would be a better buy to get a little bit larger 4:3 set. Plus the fact that the new 4:3 toshibas will squeeze 16:9 material.

So what are the thoughts out there on this?
Old 11-11-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That 8.5 feet is very close. You'll be fine for DVD watching but regular TV is very tough. I had the same distance and ended up having to modify my wall to give me more room. You can check out the pics below. With only 15% cable you might be able to get away with it but I would stick with 16x9. A bigger 4:3 8.5 away would be too overwhelming. That is unless you like counting nosehairs Just my 2¢
Old 11-11-01, 11:02 AM

does anyone know the sight where you can type in a screen size of a 4:3 or widescreen set and it will give you the picture size of the other. Also i would think blondeguy would have an issue of burn in watching that much widescreen material on a 4:3. As everyone is worried about it watching 4:3 on a widescreen display. Im contemplating all this myself, as im looking to see what tv i will purchase in the next couple of months. i went from knowing just about what i wanted to now looking at: direct views, plasma's, Toshiba or pioneer elite RPTV's, should i spend about 2500 or spend 5000. I'm begining to wonder if ill be happy no matter what i buy. Of course im sitting watching movies on a 27" tv at this time.
Old 11-11-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For BlondeGuy:

With that kind of distance and money I would go for a widescreen like the Toshiba 50H81 (available as low as $1875).

For coolmello:

Don't forgot to look at Front Projection systems. They could easily provide the perfect setup that you are starting to doubt the existense of.
Old 11-11-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go with the 16x9 since 85% of your viewing will be DVD's. Anamorphic rules!!
Old 11-11-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by coolmello
does anyone know the sight where you can type in a screen size of a 4:3 or widescreen set and it will give you the picture size of the other. Also i would think blondeguy would have an issue of burn in watching that much widescreen material on a 4:3. As everyone is worried about it watching 4:3 on a widescreen display. Im contemplating all this myself, as im looking to see what tv i will purchase in the next couple of months. i went from knowing just about what i wanted to now looking at: direct views, plasma's, Toshiba or pioneer elite RPTV's, should i spend about 2500 or spend 5000. I'm begining to wonder if ill be happy no matter what i buy. Of course im sitting watching movies on a 27" tv at this time.
http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
Old 11-11-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Xytraguptorh

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
That is a Cool sight! I have a 57" widescreen & 53" 4:3 TV and it was cool to see the actual difference in the different widescreen dimensions for the two sets.
Old 11-11-01, 09:13 PM

skar,

I would eventually like to get a pptv but im in base housing at this time and the living rooms are pretty small. whats the typical distance you need to have the projector away from the screen. Also i watch alot of tv. How are these with everyday viewing. If im not watching a dvd, im watching sports and if im not watching sports my daughter is watching either a movie or cartoons. As you can see my tv is almost always on.

Xytraguptorh,

Thanks for the site. That was the one i was looking for.
Old 11-11-01, 11:37 PM

I just picked up a Mitsu 55 inch widescreen. I watch TV more than DVDs but the set has a stretch mode to fill the whole screen. It only stretches the sides and is not noticable unless you stare and the edges of the screen. I went from a 27 inch 4:3 TV. Watching DVDs on the widescreen is so much better, no screen space is wasted. I got tired of watching such a small picture, especially 2.35:1 ratio movies. If you watch 85% DVDs vs TV, you must buy a widescreen. There is no comparison. Buying a 55 4:3 is a waste of screen space and money.
Old 11-12-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All 27" and larger TV's are on sale @ Best Buy this week. Check their site for prices.

The 53H81 Toshiba WS looked very nice and was under 2K. I puchased a 50A61 4:3 for $1197 for watching anime since those non-anamorphic 4:3 dvd's look fugly to me in stretched mode on my Toshiba 65H80.
Old 11-17-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by cubanx
The 53H81 Toshiba WS looked very nice and was under 2K. I puchased a 50A61 4:3 for $1197 for watching anime since those non-anamorphic 4:3 dvd's look fugly to me in stretched mode on my Toshiba 65H80.
The 50A61 is $1099 next weekend (Friday and Saturday) at Best Buy. If you interested...cubanx, go pricematch that sucker.

I'll be there, picking one up for myself....my first step into bigger than 25" TV's.