DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV opinions for an Xbox

Old 11-16-01, 09:59 PM

TV opinions for an Xbox

Daewoo 20" Flat screen @ $199.95

Sony Wega 20" Flat screen @ $329.00

Set is for my son's Christmas along with Xbox. He'll play mostly game's but use it for DVD viewing also. I have never dealt with a Daewoo so I now nothing other than they make cheap cars. I've got a 32" Wega so I know first hand about them.

Thanks
saintsfan @ 4 and 4

Last edited by saintsfan; 11-16-01 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-16-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems like someone will have some fun this holiday season!. If saving the $130 isn't important I would go with the Sony cause I am sure it is much better. I would rank Daewoo up there with Curtis Mathis and Sylvania tv's!

BTW, I am available for adoption, but since I am probably much bigger than your son I will need an XBox and a 36" Sony to make me happy
Old 11-16-01, 10:31 PM

jumbojp,
Thanks and that's about the direction I am going with. Sony Style has their models about 10% off with FREE overnight shipping. I still might go with my local store that has very good service after the sell.

I was @ Wal - Mart for the 12:01am release of Xbox to make sure I got one since missing out on the PS2 last year. As for my son, 15 years old and 5'-11", he's as big as I am.

Thanks

saintsfan
Old 11-16-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you're certainly not hurting for money, but since its for your son and it won't be the primary household TV set, I'd say go for the Daewoo and save yourself the 120.

I mean, what's the point, its only a 20" set and unless your son is and AV connessiour (sp) he may not even notice the difference.
Old 11-16-01, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had a 13" Daewoo for over a year with no problems. As long as it has S-Video the Daewoo should be fine for the XBox.
Old 11-18-01, 01:14 AM
0ne

One

Butting in. Get this set if you are considering the sony.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=28

Its the Toshiba 20AF41, It is better than both the sony and the Daewoo, having the speakers on the side for more of a simulated surround effect and having component video AND S video inputs which the sony DOES NOT. Component video blows away the quality of regular AV jacks and the toshiba can be found about 15% less than the sony at many places.

Last edited by 0ne; 11-18-01 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-18-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Between the Sony and the Toshiba... definitely the Toshiba is better with Component Inputs and improved black level but then the only question is that is it worth $100 more then the Daewoo for a gift ?
Old 11-18-01, 09:30 AM

Thanks Guy's,
Decisions Decisions, I really don't know if the S - Video is necessary since it's a 20" model for a bedroom. But on the other hand I would like to get to most for the money and the Toshiba looks nice, thanks One.

Researching!

saintsfan: 5 and 4 after today