Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic CV51 vs. Toshiba 2715

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it's about time to replace my single disk panasonic A120U (great player) and my 5 disk CD changer (non CD-R/RW or MP3) with a 5 disk DVD/CD/CD-R/RW/MP3 player.

and i've narrowed it down to 2, both of which can be had for about 200 bones...

Panasonic DVDCV51: will play pretty much anything you put in it and i love my current panasonic. only odd thing is the lack of a digital coax output...no matter as it does have an optical one...just seems odd.

Toshiba 2715: does most of the above with the possible exception of CD-RW. has that nifty zoom feature that i doubt i'd get much use out of. has a digital coax output, which i prefer, but for no particular reason.

there are a few others, and i'd love to hear your experiences, but i would mostly like to know whether any of you guys own these and what you think.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity, what brand/year CD changer do you have that won't play CDRs? Have you tried (a few different brands of) CDRs in it?

Sorry that this is tangential to your main question; I could still see you wanting to consolidate the two pieces and add CDRW and MP3 capability.

Last edited by stevevt; 11-15-01 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-15-01, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

stevevt

oops...slip of the tongue...plays CD-Rs just fine but not RWs.

but i neglected to mention that it doesn't have a digital output of any variety which is further ammo for pulling the trigger on a multi-format changer...

Technics...older...don't know the model off the top of my head.
Old 11-15-01, 06:42 PM

Hi Chess,

My parents have the Tosh SD 2715 and I've used it numerous times (probably close to 50 times).

It DOES in fact play CD-RW. I know this for a fact because I have used it for this exact purpose.

The manual does state, "Playing of CD-RW disks is not recommended," but trust me, they will play just fine.

As far as the rest of the player: It's rock solid.

One thing you should know about using it for music/CD/CD-R/CD-RW though; the TV MUST be on in order to play music. There's really no other way to know "where you are" or what you're playing. Not a big deal, but something you should keep in mind.

Between the two you've listed, my vote goes to the Tosh.

If you have any specific questions about the 2715, post them here and I'll be happy to answer. It really is a great player though.
Old 11-16-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RickG
One thing you should know about using it for music/CD/CD-R/CD-RW though; the TV MUST be on in order to play music. There's really no other way to know "where you are" or what you're playing. Not a big deal, but something you should keep in mind.
thanks rick.

i'm not sure i follow here...is there not a display on the player showing which disk is cued and what track it's on? or are you talking about the track names for MP3s?

i know the panasonic (which i'm leaning toward) doesn't show MP3 filenames on its display, but i'm fairly certain that it at least indicates which disk is currently playing.

what shows on the tv screen while playing CDs on the toshiba?

your parents aren't running the sound through their TV are they?
Old 11-16-01, 02:21 PM

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to track names of MP3s.

When you play a CD (CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3) the display on the front of the player WILL show you which disk is playing (there are 5 little numbered disk icons on the front display), the track that is playing, and the time of the track (00:00:00).

What I was trying to say about having the TV on is this:

When you pop in a store bought CD with 15 tracks on it and have the case/jacket in your hand, it's real easy to look at the jacket of the CD and know exactly what track you are looking for or want to play.

When you pop in a CD-R/CD-RW that has more than a hundred tracks of MP3s on it (something I do often), it can be a little hard to find a certain song unless you've catalogued your MP3s and have a list of what songs are on what disks.

With the 2715, when you play a CD-R/CD-RW that has MP3s on it and turn the TV on, you get a nice display/menu of the disk with the names of the songs listed.

So although you can play any CD/CD-R/CD-RW with the TV turned off just fine, having the TV on while listening to MP3s makes it a whole lot easier to "find your place." That's all I meant.

About audio through the TV:

They have the 2715 running through their Dolby/DTS receiver, so I don't know what the music will sound like when played through the TV (if that's what you were asking), but the MP3s (as well as music CDs) sound terrific when played through the receiver.

Hope this helps
Old 11-16-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RickG
They have the 2715 running through their Dolby/DTS receiver, so I don't know what the music will sound like when played through the TV (if that's what you were asking), but the MP3s (as well as music CDs) sound terrific when played through the receiver.
got it. thanks. showing the tracks onscreen actually sort of seems like a nice feature. i wonder if the panasonic does that...

the "TV audio" question was just to make sure that "hearing the music" wasn't the reason they had to have the TV on. believe me, i would NEVER do that, and i could guess what it would sound like.

but it all makes sense now.

thanks.