DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Your new tv could last you 15-20 years

Old 11-14-01, 06:29 PM

Your new tv could last you 15-20 years

I took a 25" stereo console tv to my local tv repair shop to see if the guy wanted it since it didn't work anymore.

The shop owner retired from Sears as their lead tv repair man and has 40 years in repairing electronics under his belt. Anyway, he told me to let him check to see what's wrong with it before I just dumped it at his shop. He checked a few things and found it to be a loose solder joint. He resoldered it and a few other potential troublemakers and she works like new. He charged me $20 and gave me some pretty valuable advise.

He said that with all the tv's that come into his shop with problems, that 95% of them have loose solder joints and that this is caused by vibration from the internal speakers. He said the first thing that anyone should do when they buy a new tv is disconnect the internal speakers or disable them from the tv menu and only use external speakers. There are many repair shops that lie about the loose solder joints and claim they replace much more expensive components.

I wish that I'd known that when I bought mine 5 years ago.

Last edited by WOWZY; 11-14-01 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-19-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't use the internal speakers, simply cuz they stink. I run it through my AV receiver.