Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT System Finished. Your comments/input welcome (was: Sub Settings)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT System Finished. Your comments/input welcome (was: Sub Settings)

Old 11-14-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HT system Finished

Well, i have purshcased everything, here it is:

1. Onkyo TX DS-494 (receiver)
2. Sony SA WM40 (sub)
3. 4 Paradigm Titan (fronts/rears)
4. Paradigm CC-170 (center)
5. RCA 27in Entertainment Series PIP (TV)
6. Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD player)

Tell me what you think, especially the Paradigms.... thanks.

Be nice!

Jason

Last edited by jasonr114; 11-15-01 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-14-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, let me see...

1) Get yourself an SPL meter (Radio Shack is probably the most commonly used) and calibrate your sub with your other speakers. I'm going out on a limb here and will assume you haven't calibrated your speakers before, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the resulting sound, post-calibration. Use your receiver's internal tones, or better yet pick up Video Essentials or Avia for more accurate test tones to calibrate by.

2) This is simply a matter of what sounds best in your room. Best thing to do is have someone switch back and forth between the settings while you listen from the primary listening position, and choose which one sounds better to you.

3) This depends on a number of things: how your sub is set to handle signals, which the termonology varies from receiver to receiver, but it usually has to do with your speakers set to 'large' or 'small' and varitations thereof. It really depends on the frequency response of your mains and the crossover frequency set by your receiver. Since I haven't a clue as to what either of those figures are, I can't really make a suggestion, other then please don't do what I've seen suggested here before and turn the crossover setting on your sub all the way up. Unless you have very small mains with no bass response, this is going to sound muddy as all hell and make your bass sound like mush.
Let us know what your receiver is set at and what your other speakers are, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.
Old 11-14-01, 08:27 PM

wow

First off, DVDoRama thanks for your input, seems like i have alot to do!
Well, here it comes my deep, dark confession. I have no other speakers yet aside from the two on my TV, I am getting a set of last year's sony's HTIB fronts/center/rears this weekend that my buddy has upgraded to paradigms - i will eventually do the same but not now - when the sale comes, he got all four for the price of one cause they were off white instead of black.

My main concern now is that i dont foolishly blow up something by setting it to high/low or whatever.

so basically try and keep the frequency as low as possible to prevent the bass from being two muddle by the mid-range?

set the phase to my preference.

In a few days, i will probably add to this thread when i get all 6 speaker hooked up.
Old 11-15-01, 11:45 PM

moderator, i dont know if it is inappropriate to ask but i didnt want to start another thread, but maybe i should.... perhaps you could change the title of this thread to something like

"HT System Finished - Your comments/input welcome"

thanks
Old 11-16-01, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good choice on speakers one of my systems uses Paradigm speakers; Atoms up front, CC-200 center, and CC-70 surrounds and I love it.