DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JVC VCR decision - could use a hand...

Old 11-14-01, 02:34 PM

JVC VCR decision - could use a hand...

I know, whats a VCR? This is DVDTalk!

Anyway, I'm looking for an S-VHS capable VCR, and after looking over several models, I've come to the decision of wanting one of two JVC models. The HR-S7800U or the HR-S7900U. What I see is that the 7900 is the replacement model of last year's 7800, but some people have said the 7900 isn't all that much better, and in fact might be worse in some aspects (picture quality, some features).

I have the opportunity to get the 7900 at a very low price (thanks to pricematching and a credit), but the store that carries it no longer has the 7800. I can get the 7800 elsewhere (new), but that involves time and shipping. Can anyone here suggest which is a better model? I know there are other brands to consider, and I have, but JVC is within my budget, and I have read that their 7000 and up series are the much better line of S-VHS machines than the bare-bones cheaper models that are offered everywhere - so basically this is as close as I can afford to get to getting a good S-VHS machine.

Thanks to all to reply!
Old 11-14-01, 06:28 PM
X
Administrator

We had a thread a while ago about JVC VCRs. The consensus was stay away from them! Maybe for one that you don't mind having die on you prematurely but that's about it.

Why don't you search for that thread? I posted my experience in it.
Old 11-16-01, 04:22 PM

I have a JVC 6800 S-VHS when it first came out many years back, spent something like $600 on it. What a piece of junk - it rarely gets used and last year I started to get a lot of snow on the picture and cleaning head doesn't help. Now I use it as a $600 cable tuner (s-video output is handy). I have some 10-year-old VCRs that works better than the 6800.

My advice is to get somethign cheap like the S3800 or 3900 for less than $150 and you won't feel back replacing it when it does go back. Use the rest to get a progressive DVD player.

Beeeil
Old 11-17-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I missed the consensus

I have a 6700, purchased after noticing that vhs wasn't cutting it. I have used Video Essentials to check out the 6700, the recent 9500, Panasonic, Mitsubishi and Sony players. The 9500 has a bit of video noise, particularly if you are forcing it to record svhs on vhs tape, but is the only deck, besides the 6700, to handle vertical lines almost all of the way across the screen of a small 27" tv.

I don't know what your finances are, but my 9500 makes amazing copies of dvds, once you get the macro out of the way. I use it to record cable, probably its only remaining use. The Olympics are on the way.

I think their top consumer deck is the 9800 and may be worth the few extra bucks. The remote is the best one they have had since the 6700. Reviewers have complained that it has too many buttons. I see that as a positive feature. Having said all of that, the 6800 was a disappointment all of the way around as was the 7200.
Old 11-19-01, 10:19 AM

I finally decided on the 7900 model. I found it for $230 on the net, brought it to J&R for a pricematch, and utilized a $100 credit I had there. I was considering the 9900, but they were out of stock, and it would be at least 3 weeks before they got them in - so I went with the 7900.

After rigorously testing it this past weekend, I have to say I am extremely pleased with the picture. I played an old home video as well as a recently purchased Star Trek tape, and both looked much better as compared to my old VCR - the Trek Video looked exceptional to be honest. Its not DVD, but its as close as I can get. The VHS legacy is mainly for my wife who hasn't gotten the DVD bug yet, but I'm working on it.

S-VHS recording is excellent as well, with the recording looking almost as good as the broadcast.

I know a lot of members here bashed the JVC line, but again, I have read good things about the 7000 series and up, and I am pleased with it. I know the longevity fector is an issue, but that is something that time will have to tell for me - considering I paid $130 for the machine, should it only last a few years, I think it was worth it. Many thanks to all of you who have helped me with this (on and off the board).
Old 11-25-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I missed the consensus too

I had a JVC VCR bought back in 1987. I used it up until this spring as my main VCR. It worked great and never had a problem with it.
Old 11-25-01, 02:23 PM
Banned

I have the 7800 and am completely happy with it - just rarely use it

Oh yea I'm not affiliated with any corporation I mentioned here

Dave Phipps

Last edited by DavePhipps; 11-25-01 at 08:49 PM.