DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Break In Period For JBLs?

Old 11-12-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Break In Period For JBLs?

i was in Best Buy a few days ago, not even looking for speakers, but i was so impressed w/ the way the S-center sounded (they were playing X-men, and there seemed to be a lot of little nuances i was picking up for the first time) so i decided to get an open box one to replace the center in my HTIB Kenwood set-up. i realize these aren't perfectly timber matched, but i thought it mated fairly well. i thought it seemed like a good purchase at first, but now its giving me a huge headache. its just too shrill (bright?), i can actually feel my eardrums being rattled in passages that never caused me a problem before.
i'm wordering if this is just a case of the speaker not being broken in yet, or very poor timber matching, or just that its just too bright for me.
any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's one of the many hazards of shopping at the big chain stores, not being able to audition equipment in your home before buying. Just because a speaker sounds great in the store's demo room (or sales floor, depending on the location), it may for whatever reason simply not sound good in your home. Wether it's not matching up well with your other equipment, or simply the acoustics of your room aren't suited to that speaker, there is a myriad of possibilities why the JBL in question is giving you a headache. I'm not familiar with the JBL speakers, but I do believe in speaker break-in. Some don't. I'm not sure if there are any older threads about this here, but its a topic brought up frequently on the Home Theater Forum. I'd take a look there, and do a search on speaker break-in and see what you come up with.
Old 11-13-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JBLs tend to be very bright. Especially if you are using a relatively bright receiver/amp.
They all use titanium dome tweeters, which sound shrill to me.

It may well warm up over time, but to me, JBL speakers always remain too bright.

Last edited by edclem; 11-13-01 at 01:32 PM.