DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV Installation...How to?

Old 11-11-01, 01:41 AM

DirecTV Installation...How to?

Does anyone know where online I can get a step-by-step detail of how to install DirecTV? I have all of the equipment, I just want to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

I had the dish professionally installed a few years back and then I moved and it has been sitting in the basement ever since. I recently moved again and cannot get cable in my area, so I thought I would hook it back up. Somewhere in all of the moves I have managed to lose all of the documentation on how to install this damn thing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-11-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Install the dish with a clear view of the southern sky. Make sure the arm that holds the dish is plumb(use a level to do this)

Hook everything up.

Power on the receiver and go into the setup menu and enter your zip code to get your altitude(angle up and down) and azimuth(left to right rotation).
    Now go into the signal strength meter in the setup menu of the receiver and see if you have a signal. It will show you visibly the signal strength and with an audible tone. The higher pitch the tone the stronger the signal. When adjusting the dish for signal you need to either be able to see your TV or have it cranked to hear the signal.

Keep doing these steps at different altitudes until you get a signal. Also you want to adjust the signal to as close to 100% as possible. The better the signal the less pixelating and rain fade you will get. Also don't mount the dish where you cant get to it easily to wipe snow off of it or melt ice.
      Old 11-14-01, 11:59 PM

Here is the Directv manual on the subject:

Self Install Manual