DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Would this be alright? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/157730-would-alright.html)

ElementZ 11-10-01 12:18 AM

Would this be alright?

I was wondering if it would be harmful by puttin my vcr on my dvd player or vice versa. The reason for this is that I'll be getting a reciever soon and would have nowheres to put it. My tv stand only has 2 shelves with the top being the dvd player and bottom being vcr. The reciever im getting is a kenwood model, and i heard it gets fairly hot/warm so i dont want to put anything on that.

what do some of u people think?

Thanks.

palebluedot 11-10-01 12:37 AM

I don't put any components on top of each other, but that's me. I give each component plenty of breathing room. Will it work fine if you stack them on top of each...yes, will it shorten the life of the component...probably.

nekobus 11-10-01 02:46 AM

It shouldn't hurt to put your DVD player on your VCR for a while. Newer DVD players are pretty lightweight. We have had our DVD player on our VCR for over a month now as we look for new AV furniture. No problems yet.

As you said, you don't want to put anything on top of your receiver. Eventually you may end up like us...looking for a home for your new stack. -smile-

skar 11-11-01 01:21 AM

You should be fine. I currently have my DVD player on top of my TiVo (been like that about 6 weeks). No problems yet. I would also recommend giving your receiver as much breathing room as possible.

On a side note, any reason you are getting a Kenwood receiver? I'm personally not a big fan of their models below the Sovereign level ($1000+). I feel that others brands can provide a much better value at any price level.

ElementZ 11-11-01 11:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'll prob put the dvd player on tha vcr, that shouldnt be too bad.

The answer to why im getting a Kenwood reciever is that I'm going to get Kenwoods home theatre package (maybe) which includes the reciever and 5.1 speaker package.

I know some people here arent a big fan of Home theatre in a box, but this is nice, my friend has the setup and its awesome, im new to home theatre (bout 7-8 months), and im young, university student so i dont have much money, this is expensive enuff ($799 CDN) and I can always upgrade it, by addin different pieces later on

My room is fairly small and cramped (10x12) so it will do me fine, I dont know why im typing all this, im not even sure if im getting it or not, i dont know if i would have room. I'll probably be posting later on about soloutions to that problem.

DigIt 11-12-01 09:45 AM

Originally posted by ElementZ
Thanks for all the replies so far, I'll prob put the dvd player on tha vcr, that shouldnt be too bad.
I would put the VCR on top of the DVD player. My DVD player doesn't get nearly as hot as my VCR when it runs a few hours, so I'd give the VCR the extra breathing room.