DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Any opinions on ACI cheap portable DVD player? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/157705-any-opinions-aci-cheap-portable-dvd-player.html)

Crazy Aoshi 11-09-01 10:50 PM

Any opinions on ACI cheap portable DVD player?

I have been looking for a cheap region free portable dvd player for use at work (no need for a screen because there are plenty of screens at a tv station). Anyway, I was browsing ebay, and I came across this portable dvd player by ACI:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1294969479

It's really cheap and it's region free and it seems like it's everything I wanted. Does anyone have anything to say about this player? It sounds too good to be true for so cheap. Is is a legitimate product? Will it work just plugging it into a TV, or is it an external drive for a computer or what? Please let me know anything about this product, such as, does it work well? Thanks for any info.

stevevt 11-09-01 11:44 PM

I clicked on that link, and it looked awfully familiar.

Not that there's any more information, but somebody else posted an eerily similar question a week and a half ago.

Any experience with ACI portable DVD/MP3 player?

I'm leaving this thread open since there really isn't any information in the other thread.

Crazy Aoshi 11-09-01 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll keep waiting for a reply. What others places would be good to ask about this? Thanks.

tannersarms 11-29-01 05:09 PM

Having been directed to this thread by one of the Mods (sorry for duplicate posting, the forums I am on in the uk www.thedvdforums.com which is very similar to this has disabled their search forum so I kind of presumed you guys would too).
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on this one. I can't believe there are so many of these models flooding ebay at the memoent and people not knowing about them. I reckon with a good credit card with fraud prevention and a buyer with such a high rating (2475) on ebay, it's worth the risk? Especially since the product in question (a nice easy multi region soultion) seems so hard to come across over there in the US.
Anyhow, I'll let you know if I do take the plunge.

Mark

wkendrvr 12-12-01 08:03 PM

I have one of these players. So far I am very pleased. I installed it into my Suburban for the kids to watch videos and so far no skipping or unusual operation. I can vouch for the VCD playback, but I don't have any other region dvd's to try out. The only thing that is kinda strange is when playing back mp3's you can't see the title.

farscape66 12-25-01 03:46 PM

I have an ACI from ebay

Thet are great, I play region 2 PAL discs on it, Excellent!!! Email or call me if you want more info.

mensachicken 12-28-01 09:10 PM

Anyone with new information on these units?

farscape66: Have you tried playing an RCE encoded disc yet? Did it handle it okay?

Thanks,

L.

farscape66 12-29-01 04:29 AM

My only problem isc was

I dont know if I have any RCE disks. The only disc that had a problem on it so far was the new Planet of the Apes Film. It froze once. But I was able to get it to continue by fast forwarding a bit.
The following all play Fine:
Farscape Region 2 PAL Season 1 & 2
Jurassic Park 3
League of Gentlemen Series 1, 2 (PAL), & Live (PA)
This is all I have tried so far.

Sn0 12-29-01 08:39 AM

You might want to edit out your phone number there are crazies all over these boards specially if we leak out of the Otter, just some friendly advice

n.phelge 01-15-02 05:22 PM

I just came across this set the other day. Does anyone know if it is macrovision disabled?

Thanks

farscape66 01-15-02 05:28 PM

ACI is not Macrovisio Disabled

The one I got from ebay was not Macrovision disabled. But it works fine.

biggen 01-16-02 12:39 PM

Hey Farscape-how is the PAL to NTSC conversion on Pal discs. Is there any squeezing or anything or does appear to be pretty accurate? Thanks!

farscape66 01-16-02 01:15 PM

Looks good to me

The only PAL discs I have watched are the Region 2 PAL Farscape tv series discs. They look good to me, no problems that I could see.