Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just dont get it....Some plz explain...[Pan&Scan vs. Widescreen issues]

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just dont get it....Some plz explain...[Pan&Scan vs. Widescreen issues]

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by phild
I will maintain that the 4:3 aspect ratio is a good size for the average loungeroom and WS is what I expect to find in a theatre.
Again, 4:3 is not a size, it's a shape. Two completely different concepts.
Old 11-22-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somehow average 'Joe Blow' has been ignored in the debate on future technology and is being forced to accept the ideals of others.
Ideals of others? This isn't quantum theory, here. This is a fact.

Old 11-23-01, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a non-widescreen TV, black bars are added to the top and bottom to maintain the proper aspect ratio, but without the added benefit of increased resolution.
An anamorphic image displayed on a 4:3 TV without the "squeeze" mode gets "squeezed" vertically, in the reverse of what is done for a widescreen TV.

FYI on some widescreen TVs, 4:3 images have to be "squeezed" horizontally, because the TV treats them as 16x9-enhanced widescreen. Very annoying!

Widescreens are too small for a living room.
Mine is plenty big - takes 3-4 guys to carry it, and dominates a living room...

RD
Old 11-23-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...unfortunately DVD did not fully deliver on its promise. It was to inlude both WS and P&S. This is why I think WS sux, becuase it is all that is available and I have been denied my choice of want. Somehow average 'Joe Blow' has been ignored in the debate on future technology and is being forced to accept the ideals of others. I will maintain that the 4:3 aspect ratio is a good size for the average loungeroom and WS is what I expect to find in a theatre.
Umm, when was a 'promise' made to include both WS and pan&scam? I don't ever recall there being made a promise that each and every disc will have the ability to switch between WS and P&S on the fly. If you could link to some documentation showing this, I'd love to see it.
Old 11-24-01, 09:56 PM
Cool New Member

First of all, I don't think it's anyone's "choice" how they should watch movies. A director chooses his Aspect Ratio for very specific reasons. If you can't respect that, don't watch his or her movies. Whether you watch a movie in pan-n-scan or in open matte, it isn't the way the director intended it to be. So you are basically saying that your idea of how the movie should be watched is better than the director's.

Consider this-- Wouldn't you think it was a little wierd if you went to an art museum and there was only half or 2/3's of each peice there?
Watch OAR.
Old 11-25-01, 09:50 PM
Cool New Member

As for the example provided by CKMorpheus - I prefer the image on the left in this actual size and shape. The ws example on the right is very misleading because it is shown to the same scale. The ws example on the right is not the appropriate way to compare this. For what most people have and can afford, this image will in comparison, be smaller with far less height. It is easy to imagine how lousy the picture impact would be if the frame on the right was reduced in height so that it fits the frame width of the example on the left.

As for comments about directors artistic intent - hogwash. The director is simply meeting the ws requirement for theatres. As very little consideration is given to the most enjoyable aspect ratio in the lounge room, then I don't care if there was a moment when the director's intention was chopped off. Go to the theatre release for your most critical viewing - anything else is a compromise anyway. I looked at some ws TV's today and I just can't understand anyone wanting one no matter how much I try to understand. Every comparison I look at, the ws tv always gives the smaller image. The 4:3 aspect just gives more image area per weight of picture tube - the absolute best technology for picture delivery.
Old 11-25-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for the example provided by
image on the left in this actual size
on the right is very misleading
scale. The ws example on the right
compare this. For what most
image will in comparison, be smaller
easy to imagine how lousy
frame on the right was reduced
width of the example on the

As for comments about
director is simply meeting the
very little consideration is
ratio in the lounge room, then
when the director's intention
release for your most critical
compromise anyway. I looked at
can't understand anyone wanting
to understand. Every comparison
gives the smaller image. The 4:3
area per weight of picture tube - the
picture delivery.
Old 11-25-01, 11:54 PM

I looked at some ws TV's today and I just can't understand anyone wanting one no matter how much I try to understand. Every comparison I look at, the ws tv always gives the smaller image. The 4:3 aspect just gives more image area per weight of picture tube - the absolute best technology for picture delivery.
4:3 is the best technology for viewing cable TV. 16:9 is the best technology for viewing DVD movies and HDTV broadcasts. Did you ever compare a WS DVD played on a 4:3 TV to one played on a 16:9 TV? No, you didn't, because in that case the WS TV would have the bigger picture.
It's plain and simple; when you watch a Pan & Scan movie you don't see the whole picture. The picture may be bigger when viewed on a 4:3 TV, but you are only fooling yourself.
You do realize that whenever HDTV becomes the standard, everything will be widescreen, right???
Old 11-04-03, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Beeeil
Everytime I hear a heated discussion about P&S vs. WS (countless times), I want to say the following:

People who prefer P&S are frequently referred as "uneducated" or "unformed" about this issue. However, I submit that the vast majority of them are "educated" and "informed" about this issue. Yet they still prefer the P&S because the image fills up their screen.

Personally I prefer WS because I have a 120" WS FP system, but I totally understand and repsect others who have a 4x3 set not wanting to watch the black bars above and below their movies. They can watch it their way, and we can watch it our way. I think everybody here should all respect their "educated" and "informed" decision. Nobody is really "wrong", it's a personal preference of either seeing "more" of the movie with smaller images, or "bigger" images but less of the movie.

People who do not want to compromise "more" vs. "bigger", like me, would have go out and purchased a 16x9 format FP, RP, or tube tv.

The only thing I worry about is the studio making market-based decisions (not offering WS edition any more because most people prefer P&S), because then their decision would have affected our choices.

Beeeil
I agree with you. I am tired of condescending attitudes people have. If anyone likes fullscreen that means:

a. they are ignorant on the subject
b. they dont belong in a forum for dvd/HT lovers

There's nothing wrong with tolerance in choices; everyone has their own preference, and these people who think they are always in the right need to open their eyes and realize how they're looking.
Old 11-04-03, 09:19 PM

Wow.. brought this one back from the grave...
Old 11-04-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PhYbEr
Wow.. brought this one back from the grave...
Why not it's a subject that will never die.

Since I've decided to respond I also throw in my two cents. In my opinion ignorant is the correct word to use even if you do prefer to watch a pan and scanned, butchered picture. You might prefer to see the whole screen of the TV filled regardless if the TV is a 16:9 or a 4:3 model but you're still ignoring the director's intent and creative look that he wanted to show. So if you're ignoring that then the word ignorant applies.

Now this doesn't mean that you don't belong in a HT/DVD forum and aren't welcome to post and ask questions. It just means that you're ignoring that which is correct and missing out on the whole viewing experience by your own choice.
Old 11-05-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by chipmac
Why not it's a subject that will never die.

Since I've decided to respond I also throw in my two cents. In my opinion ignorant is the correct word to use even if you do prefer to watch a pan and scanned, butchered picture. You might prefer to see the whole screen of the TV filled regardless if the TV is a 16:9 or a 4:3 model but you're still ignoring the director's intent and creative look that he wanted to show. So if you're ignoring that then the word ignorant applies.

Now this doesn't mean that you don't belong in a HT/DVD forum and aren't welcome to post and ask questions. It just means that you're ignoring that which is correct and missing out on the whole viewing experience by your own choice.
In my opinion your ignorant to like widescreen and turn a 32'" TV into a 20" TV in viewable area. Don't chide me for my preferance and I won't care what you like. Truck owners and car owners can get along so why do anal retentive widescreen lovers always have to try and push their preference onto others. I will buy a 1.85:1 over full which is my limit but I will never buy for my 4:3 TV a 2.35:1 when I have a choice. And trust me I can enjoy my fullscreen movie as much as you enjoy your widescreen and I do know the difference.
Old 11-05-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
In my opinion your ignorant to like widescreen and turn a 32'" TV into a 20" TV in viewable area. Don't chide me for my preferance and I won't care what you like. Truck owners and car owners can get along so why do anal retentive widescreen lovers always have to try and push their preference onto others. I will buy a 1.85:1 over full which is my limit but I will never buy for my 4:3 TV a 2.35:1 when I have a choice. And trust me I can enjoy my fullscreen movie as much as you enjoy your widescreen and I do know the difference.
Sorry bud you're arguement doesn't wash. If a 20" 4:3 TV is too small to watch 2.35:1 movies comfortably then your TV is too small. That's a problem with the TV you decided to buy but it's not a problem with how the movie was made.

Oh and I'm not chiding anyone for their choice but ignoring something that is correct even if you prefer what is wrong is being ignorant. I'm not a anal retentive widescreen lover who is pushing my choice on anyone. You can watch whatever version you choose. I don't care. However I feel you might be limiting your viewing pleasure by only purchasing 1.85:1 or smaller DVDs. That leaves out a lot of superb movies IMO.

One other thing. What do truck and car owners have to do with this? A better analogy might be people who read novels of great literature and those that read the crib notes version. Both have read the story but only one has read the right version. Yes they can discuss what each other has read but only the one who read the whole novel can be certain nothing was missing.
Old 11-05-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by audrey
For movies originally shot in 1:33 a tiny portion of the image is cropped to fit a conventional 4:3 television. For all intents and purposes, these titles are presented in their original aspect ratio. Examples include older titles such as Citizen Kane, DOA, The Third Man, etc.
Actually, it's 1.33:1 and no cropping needed because 1.33 is 4:3.
Old 11-05-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
May be she means overscans.
Old 11-06-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
While 1.33:1 is 4:3, 35mm film is 1.37:1.

And, as long as there are so many folks throwing around the word “ignorant” consider:

using phrases like “your ignorant” and “you’re argument” is a piss poor way of trying to prove the point.

JMO.

Resume the entertainment, please.
Old 11-07-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
While 1.33:1 is 4:3, 35mm film is 1.37:1.

And, as long as there are so many folks throwing around the word “ignorant” consider:

using phrases like “your ignorant” and “you’re argument” is a piss poor way of trying to prove the point.

JMO.

Resume the entertainment, please.

I know and understand the difference so I don't feel it's being ignorant but my typing skills suck when I'm posting from work in a hurry so I plead guilty for not proofreading.