DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for a used TiVO standalone unit w/lifetime

Old 11-09-01, 02:20 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking for a used TiVO standalone unit w/lifetime

Been thinking about getting TiVO. No, I should say really, really, really want a TiVO, but can't swing the cost of a brand new one plus service.

I am looking for people who are in the process of upgrading to a more loaded model (i.e., DirecTiVO, etc.) and may be selling their used unit that already has lifetime service associated with it (not interested if it does not).

I have been watching the AVS TiVO forum and haven't seen anything there. If anyone knows other RELIABLE sources, or has one for sale/trade please send me an e-mail send here .

I really don't have an idea what the going rate would be for a used standalone with service, so even if you send me a message with a price you think is fair, please don't be offended if I say I cannot afford that.

I really want one of these, but I just cannot afford much at this point.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who sends info my way!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just posting to give you an idea about used TiVo prices w/sub.

HDR110, HDR112 (14 hour) $250
HDR212 (20 hour) $300
HDR312 (30 hour) $350

These are fair prices. If you find one significantly below this you should probably grab it.
Old 11-14-01, 01:50 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

For now, that still seems to be a bit much for my budget.

However, I did some research hear and over at AVS, and I would also consider a SA unit without service (to get started with TiVO). Yes, it would not have some of the key features, but that would still be better than what TiVO I have now, which is nothing.

So, anyone that has info on good deals for a basic SA unit would be much appreciated. It would be nice if they had a deal like the $99 DSR6000 DirecTiVO for an SA unit.........
Old 11-14-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know the first month or something is free, and then you can pay per month until you can afford the lifetime that's what I did.
Old 11-15-01, 10:35 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

See the problem is that every $10 is more groceries, etc. I guess one question I have is that if you start to do the monthly, and decide to go lifetime, do they credit what you have paid so far towards the lifetime fee????
Old 11-15-01, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Tivo keeps sending ads to my box, I'll be offering my unit dirt cheap.
Old 11-15-01, 06:38 PM

uBid occasionally sells some refurb TiVos, and the prices are good. I've used a refurb for a year now, and it still works fine.

The subscription fee ($10/month or $250/unit-lifetime) is a minor price to pay for the service. You can use the TiVo without subscription, but you'd be missing 95% of the features.

I never watch live TV anymore, and I only see the commercials I want to see, even the ones that TiVo sends. At my convenience, not the networks.
Old 11-15-01, 09:28 PM

I know you mentioned Tivo, but you might want to look around at Best Buy and Circuit City for an open-box ReplayTV unit. There is no subscription fee on it. I guess the more correct response the subscription is built into it. I recently picked up a 30 hour model for $99 with a $100 rebate. It did not come with a power supply or a remote.
Old 11-15-01, 09:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

I got an open box TiVo from Circuit City... the 30-hr Sony unit. They knocked off $100 from the price, and it was essentially missing nothing. Best Buy had the same unit, missing a BUNCH of parts, including the remote (kind of important, since that's the only way you can control the unit!), and they were only willing to knock off $40 from the price. Long story short... I also think you should check out Circuit City for open box units.

It seems like TiVo has a bigger piece of the market share than ReplayTV. When I was looking for a DVR, part of me was concerned about buying a ReplayTV and the unit not being as supported as TiVo units are. I am pretty darn uniformed as these things go, though... but it just seems to me like TiVo is being pushed a lot more than ReplayTV is.

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LQCkGeIPRWcO1dr*q6Epi6Vg*hhUa0hDISa7u3u5FR*sG3fR8jGR8V6J!oPgfMjmhI9NIWcAkdI/frankie.gif[/img]TiVo good!
Old 11-16-01, 07:27 PM

have you looked on ebay?
Old 11-18-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by svadas
If Tivo keeps sending ads to my box, I'll be offering my unit dirt cheap.
No freakin' kidding. This seems like a bad portent to me...
Old 11-19-01, 01:48 PM

I don't understand why everyone is getting so upset about ads on TiVo. I love my TiVo, and never watch live TV any more, and I use it to FF commercials (yes, I back up if I think one looked interesting). But I'm completely free NOT to look at the new TiVo ads. In fact, the Bimmer ones are interesting.

I read newspapers (ok, not all that frequently) and they have ads. I read magazines and they have ads. I drive on roads with billboards. I visit web sites that have ads. I even get spam. But I don't HAVE TO look at the ads. It's a choice. So, what's the big deal on the TiVo ads, anyway?

(Sorry for going off-topic.)

JLB, any decision yet?
Old 11-19-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Scott
I don't understand why everyone is getting so upset about ads on TiVo. I love my TiVo, and never watch live TV any more, and I use it to FF commercials (yes, I back up if I think one looked interesting). But I'm completely free NOT to look at the new TiVo ads. In fact, the Bimmer ones are interesting.

I read newspapers (ok, not all that frequently) and they have ads. I read magazines and they have ads. I drive on roads with billboards. I visit web sites that have ads. I even get spam. But I don't HAVE TO look at the ads. It's a choice. So, what's the big deal on the TiVo ads, anyway?
I actually more object to the the star and the "Win A Lexus" menu line that you can't get rid of... I can just ignore the ads and they don't take up any space, but every time I go to TiVo central, that line just draws my eye because they put the star there... it's designed to attract attention, and it does.

In any case, I don't read newspapers to get away from ads, and I don't read magazines to get away from ads. I DO use TiVo to avoid ads... that's part of why I pay them money every month. I'm sure that's the same for some other people too. For them to circumvent that by placing a single line on TiVo central may seem innocuous now, but they've basically showed that for advertiser's money, their user interface is customizable. I'm just afraid of what happens when some really big advertiser comes in and says "I want to place my ad on the top half of the Live TV Guide", or some network pays to have TiVo automatically record a certain show. Right now, it doesn't cross the line, but I'm just afraid it might.