DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Question about Progressive Scan DVD players, please help. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/157572-question-about-progressive-scan-dvd-players-please-help.html)

RickG 11-09-01 12:38 PM

Question about Progressive Scan DVD players, please help.

Hello:

I'm about to buy a DVD player (for the home, not a computer) and I had a question about progressive scan models that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a (slightly older) regular 27 inch Sony TV (it's not digital or HDTV or anything like that). I wanted to buy a progressive scan DVD player in case I get a better TV (HDTV) in the future, but I wasn't sure if the progressive scan DVD player will work with the regular TV that I have right now.

Can I use the progressive scan DVD player with my current TV, and just "turn off" the progressive scan feature? I read on another site that progressive scan DVD players don't work with "regular" TVs. Does that mean I wouldn't be able to use the DVD player at all with my current TV, or does it just mean that I can play DVDs, but wouldn't be able to take advantage of the DVD player's progressive scan feature?

I asked the salesman at the store (Best Buy), but I think he must have been new or something because he was working in the home theatre department but didn't know what I meant by "progresive scan." God, those guys are SO poorly trained!

If it helps, the model I am considering is the Toshiba SD 3750. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/2001/SD3750.html

Thanks (a lot) in advance.

Bose Pro 11-09-01 12:55 PM

Yes, you can use the progressive scan DVD player on your non-digital TV. You just won't receive the better image, in will default to interlace or standard format.

Brian Shannon 11-09-01 01:00 PM

You are right about Best Buy, sorry you were asking a question that alot of people must ask.

You can do it with no problems. You will not get the full benefit of a progressive picture, but on a TV that size the benefits would be barely noticeable anyway.

Good luck!

RickG 11-09-01 01:24 PM

Thanks so much (to both of you)! I really appreciate the help.

And such quick replies too. Quite a nice forum I stumbled onto here.

Thanks again =)

P.S. Either of you guys ever think about an exciting career with the Best Buy corporation? They could really use your help ;)

John Sy 11-09-01 01:35 PM

Best Buy couldn't pay those guys enough for their service and expertise! ;) :)

goatweed 11-09-01 01:40 PM

If it helps, the model I am considering is the Toshiba SD 3750.
Out of curiosity, did the Best Buy you went to have thi splayer - and if so, for how much? The one by me (staten island, NY) doesn't carry this model, and I'm really interested in grabbing up one of these (I currently have a 2 year old 2109, but my XBR400 deserves better LOL).

Brian Shannon 11-09-01 02:03 PM

dvddude23 I am using the Sony 700p with my 36XBR400 and like it alot.

I know I cannot get the full benefit on a screen that size but for the price it was hard to pass up.

RickG 11-09-01 02:54 PM

LoL @ John Sy

dvddude23,

Ok, here's the scoop:

The Best Buy that's close to me (I'm in a suburb of Chicago) has them by the hundreds (literally!?!?!). That's actually what first drew my attention to this model. I walked into the home theatre section and it looked as if they were preparing for a rush on the store; the stock boys were stacking them up to the ceiling! So, I went to check it out and see what all the fuss was about.

As it turns out, this model (SD 3750) has every feature a person could ask for (I've been doing my homework). The progressive scan, the component video/S-video, optical audio out, angle viewer, zoom, black level thing, 10 free movie rentals from Hollywood Video (hey, 50 bucks is 50 bucks!) mp3 compatible (if you want to use it for music) etc. etc. AND this model is actually one of the cheapest they offer! There are other models for more than twice as much that don't have as many features.

My parents have a Toshiba SD 2715 (that's the one with the 5 disk tray) and they've been VERY happy with it. I've used their player probably about 30-40 times and I can't say enough about Toshiba DVD players. The picture and sound are always perfect and the players have too many features to list (actually a lot more than what is even posted on the Toshiba site).

So, after getting the green light from Bose Pro and Brian Shannon (thanks again guys), I called my father and told him I was going to buy a DVD player from Best Buy and asked if he knew of any other places that might have it at a better price. He told me to check ABT (a local electronics store) BEFORE I buy anything.

As it turns out, ABT has the same player for 25 bucks cheaper! And you might like this: free shipping anywhere in the country! The place has been in business for about 100 years and my family has bought many items from them in the past so I can vouch for them. The service is incredible too. If you don't like your purchase (for ANY reason, even after you've beaten on it for a couple of weeks!) they take it back no questions asked and give you a full refund or store credit (your choice). Also, if you don't live near Chicago and purchase from their web site (or by calling their 800 number) they even pay for you to ship the product back to them if you decide at a later date that you don't want it! You can't ask for much more than that.

If you want to get it from Best Buy, it's on their site (I just checked) - $199:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...at=32&scat=244

If you want to check out ABT Electronics - $176:

http://www.abtelectronics.com/script...t.php3?id=6671

Sorry this was so long, but I figured you'd want the whole story.

Anyway, I'm heading over to ABT now to pick up my new DVD player :). If you don't mind waiting a day or two, I can come back and answer any specific questions you might have about the unit (but I just know it's going to be perfect ;)).

Good luck :)

Brian Shannon 11-09-01 03:05 PM

Congrats and good luck!

goatweed 11-09-01 07:49 PM

Sorry this was so long, but I figured you'd want the whole story.
No need to be sorry - testimonials from real people like you are what helps me decide what to buy! I've been referred to this player by more than a few people on this board, and in doing some research I have noticed it has a hell of a lot of features, not to mention (I hear) a beautiful picture. I've never had a problem with my 2109, and I love that picture as well - but like I said, if I can squeeze a little bit better picture out of my movies, I might as well! Plus the 2109 won't go to waste - got a spot picked out in the bedroom just waitning for it :)

And thanks for that link to ABT - I'm gonna check it out. Theres actually a pretty big sale at a local electronics store by me this weekend, so I might get lucky there - have to see how it goes.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase! After you've spent some quality time with it, come back and post any observations/reservations/praise you might have for it - I'd love to hear.

EDIT:

dvddude23 I am using the Sony 700p with my 36XBR400 and like it alot.
I've heard great things about this player as well, but it seems a little pricey - even at the site Rick linked me to for the Tosh, its lisyted at $270. Thats a little steep for my wallet, esp. when I can get the Tosh for <$200 and still get a lot of features. Plus I'll admit it, I'm a little more biased towards Tosh than Sony in the DVD department LOL.