DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best price on JVC S60?

Old 11-08-01, 02:07 PM

Best price on JVC S60?

(Sorry about the repost; I originally had this in another thread, but it's getting no reply there, and I'm hoping to get the info very soon.)

I just bought the RP56 at Sears for $200 after a price match & their 10% off weekend. Now,
I'm thinking that I should've gotten the JVC S60. Does anyone know if Sears will honor their
10% off deal on a trade-in? Also, are there any web sites with great prices on the JVC S60
that I can have them match? $200 was a great deal on the RP56, but it seems I bought the
inferior model. Gotta have that scaling feature!

Thanks...

JiM T
Old 11-08-01, 10:37 PM

Oh, no! No S60 at Sears!!

Looks like I've found a problem. They only carry the JVC XV-S62 at Sears, and none of the cheap online places have that model. I explained to the guy at Sears that the S60 & S65 are the same as the S62 except for the color, but he says that for the price match to be accepted, it has to be the exact model #. Anyone know where I can get a nice low price for the S62 model that I can have Saers match? Thanks...

JiM T
Old 11-09-01, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No offense, but are you searching for a low price? You have access to the same internet that we all do, and you're the one shopping for this

For your reference, the following are technically the only online retailers that Sears will price match:

Amazon.com
BestBuy.com
Bluelight.com
Crutchfield.com
CircuitCity.com
Homedepot.com
Lowes.com
JCPenney.com
Radioshack.com
Target.com
ToysRUs.com
Walmart.com
800.com

Good luck.
Old 11-09-01, 04:17 AM

reverb, I've searched fairly extensivly before I posted that update, but I came up empty. Since folks here at DVDtalk seem to know where the best prices are on many things (often at sites I didn't even know exsisted), I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I find it particularly strange that the JVC XV-S62 is the ONLY one of the three versions of this JVC model carried by Sears, while it's completely elusive over the web. I'm finding links to the S60 and S65 in the $190.00 range, but no S62.

When I bought my RP56 (that I'm trying to exchange) last weekend, Sears price matched it to discountmaven.com. When I went back to that same Sears yesterday, I got a different clerk who refered to a list similar to the one you posted. He was really cranky, but maybe I just got lucky w/ the RP56 price match? After this, I drove to another Sears, they were still willing to match the price of Xtreme Shopper.com, so I guess it varies from store to store (or clerk to clerk)?

JiM T
Old 11-09-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

JiM T, it appears that JVC branded it XV-S62 for sale at Sears only, so you prob won't find it elsewhere. This is common practice, Sony and others do the exact same thing for some models going to Sears, Wal-Mart, etc. You will prob have to explain that to them again and get a price match on the S60. Try dealing directly with a management. You will also likely be best served by adhering to all the other price matching rules though, which means only referencing the stores I listed above. Why don't you just order it from Amazon and use coupons or some other source besides Sears?
Old 11-09-01, 05:50 PM

Vanns.com:

209.62 shipped

as far as sears goes, you're lucky to get the price match in the first place, Mine will honor local matches only, no internet
Old 11-09-01, 06:23 PM

Thanks guys! The Vanns deal looks pretty good, so I may just give that a shot. I try to stay w/ Sears because I've had good luck w/ the price matching in the past, and I like to buy things like this locally in case there's a problem. The hassle factor is much lower.

Anyhow, thanks again!

JiM T