Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help! This is not a joke! My DVD player...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

is haunted. I was having major problems with it when I put in Superman. It started skipping and it wouldnt play. So I took the batteries out of the remote, and placed the remote in front of the DVD player. I put the movie back in and it played fine. Then when I picked up the remote it started screwing up again. So I put it back in the same spot and the DVD player worked. My DVD player will only work now when I put the remote in front of it. Someone help me! Im not crazy!
Old 11-07-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you spill anything on the remote? otherwise it sounds like your remote has some issues.
Old 11-07-01, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you pay me enough I will come to your house and get rid of those ghosts for you. You need to act fast though before they begin to multiply. I accept visa and mastercard. Or dvd's that i dont already have. Or if you dont mind living with those ghosts you could get a new remote and atleast they all can watch dvd movies with you. lol
Old 11-07-01, 09:56 PM

put in the exorcist dvd and see what happens...

It sounds like you have a collapsed button on the dvd remote that is sending out a signal whenever there's batteries inside.
Old 11-07-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DeadGnat
put in the exorcist dvd and see what happens...

It sounds like you have a collapsed button on the dvd remote that is sending out a signal whenever there's batteries inside.
I would put my money on this. It's happened to me before and this was the problem.
Old 11-07-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would be able to agree with you on the collapsed button, but I took the batteries out and it still did it. BTW, sorry I posted this in the DVD talk section, but I was so spooked out that I just panicked
Old 11-07-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You said you put the remote in front of the DVD player and it works. Could it be possible that the placement of the remote in front of the unit is blocking the IR receiver on the unit from some stray IR signal from another device or sunlight possibly?

Try the following:

1) remove the remote from the room altogether & see what happens

2) unplug the DVD player for a few minutes & plug back in (maybe resetting unit)

3) block the IR receiver on the front of the DVD player & see what happens

If nothing seems to help, then never pick up the remote again!

Seriously, let us know what happens!

Sonicflood
Old 11-08-01, 03:25 AM

You know if you had bought those Monster Cables at Best Buy you wouldn't be having this problem.
Old 11-08-01, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hi Sonic. I already tried your 1st 2 suggestions. Basically I cant remove the remote from in front of the player, otherwise the player goes nuts. I dont know if it is interference or some stray signal or a poltergeist but it is driving me nuts
Old 11-08-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure you don't have a universal remote under the couch cushions? My wife sometimes drops one down there, and when I come home and sit on the couch, the TV pops on.

Your DVD player is obviously picking up some stray IR signals from somewhere. If it is not one of your remotes, then you have a few options, like block the IR receiver on your DVD player and never be able to use the remote, or rearrange your room so that the DVD player is no longer in the path of the IR signal.

Also, if you lived next door to Walter Matthau, it is probably him because he did the same thing to Jack Lemmon in that Grumpy Old Men movie. I suggest you get a dead fish and put it in the back seat of your neighbor's car, cause that seemed to work in the movie.
Old 11-08-01, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know DigIt I thought about that Grumpy Old Men scenario, but I dont think that is it. I dont own a universal remote, so Im thinking I may never be able to use my remote again. I dont know what to do. There must be a stray signal or something going on. Ill keep you guys posted
Old 11-08-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know whether you need a service manual or a copy of the Necronomicon in order to solve your problem.
Old 11-08-01, 09:25 PM

everyone should have a copy of the necronomicon handy anyway. You never know when you might need to resurrect someone or something.