DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Just hung-up my surrounds, what a big difference (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/156765-just-hung-up-my-surrounds-what-big-difference.html)

JimRochester 11-06-01 03:55 PM

Just hung-up my surrounds, what a big difference

This goes along with Wiz's thread about speaker stands. You can see in my HT pics I was using 36" stands tucked in the corners for the rears. I called to inquire about hanging them up and the guy ran the wires and had them singing in about 90 minutes. The difference in sound is unbelievable. It's like a new system. Of course the wifey is a little torqued about big black speakers hanging on the wall but I can always trade them in for white and they'll match the wallpaper. I always thought bi-polar needed to be on the sides but I didn't have enough depth to the room so they are behind me. The installer assured me it would sound great and they do. On the side, they were too close to the corner which created more problems. Played several scenes that I was very familiar with and noticed a 100% improvement immediately. So I now have a couple spare speaker stands in the basement.

Goatbert 11-06-01 04:18 PM

Well, hanging isn't an option for me - but I just know you want to find those speaker stands a good home, right? ;)

-Jeff

goatweed 11-06-01 04:39 PM

Prior to getting married, I had my surrounds hung out of a drop ceiling with a makeshift "hook" (anchored to each corner of my room at the time), and I loved it. Now in the apartment I am in, hanging is not an option, so I have them on 36" speaker stands - and I concur, hanging is definitely the way to go. When we finally get our house, I plan on doing whatever it takes to set the HT up in as discreet yet as efficent as possible(including the wiring, hanging and positioning).

wiz 11-07-01 03:46 AM

I agree, hanging is the way to go. My parents have the surrounds hung in their living room and it makes all the difference. I will wait til I get my own house to hang though. I'm just using makeshift stands for my rears right now, I have them pointed at the wall through to get the true rear sound.

DVD_O_Rama 11-07-01 05:05 PM

Hey Jim, what model Def Techs are you using for your surrounds? I couldn't quite tell from the pics (which is a very nice set-up, btw. It looks very similar to mine, lol).
I fell in love with the bi-polar sound a while back and have had Def Techs in my HT for about a year now.
:thumbsup:

MrVette99 11-07-01 05:16 PM

I've had my bipolars on the walls and now on stands. I much prefer stands. My ears are marginal, but I think they sound a little better. The BIG advantage is that I can in a second relocate the rears as I move furniture around to accomodate for visiting guests when the couch needs to be used, rather then my big brown leather chair.

JimRochester 11-07-01 05:34 PM

Goatbert if we can figure out a way to ship them cost effectively I would be happy to sell or trade them.

Wiz and MrVette99 granted alot has to do with the room. If you check out the picture, the room is almost 20' long with the surrounds jammed in the corner. So in the middle of the couch the listener was almost 10' away, and the sound was being muffled by furniture. The left surround was between a hutch and the wall. Had my room had another setup where I could get them closer to the listener with out the interference it would have made a huge difference as well.

DVD_O_Rama The speakers are the XP-1, Mains are BP 2004 with built in sub and I forget what the center is but you can see it's pretty hefty.

DVD_O_Rama 11-08-01 05:33 PM

Originally posted by JimRochester
DVD_O_Rama The speakers are the XP-1, Mains are BP 2004 with built in sub and I forget what the center is but you can see it's pretty hefty.
I currently have the BP2002TL's as mains, BPX's as surrounds and the CLR/2500 as a center...I know what you mean about 'hefty'. ;)