Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do I need an external HDTV Tuner with my HDTV DirecTV Set

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-06-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi, I recently got the PT-47 Pannasonic 47" HDTV Monitor. I have been thinking of getting OTA HDTV and possibly DirecTV HDTV. My question is what I need to get to make this all happen. If I just decided to go with the DirecTV HDTV, do I need just the DirecTV HDTV Dish along witha HDTV DirecTV Reciever, or do I still need an external HD Tuner? Are there certain recievers for DirecTV that I wont need an external Tuner or do I need a Tuner regardless?
Also if I went with OTA also, would the DirecTV reciever do the tuning for that also? So my question id what will I need if I have a DirecTV HDTV Reciever...

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Old 11-06-01, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I know you want to stay away from Direct TV as they highly compress the signal and you see a lot of image artifacts.

Dish offers a 6000 model and HD programing with it for about 55 a month which includes HBO HD and some other stuff. I'm lookinginto getting that reciver myself but don't have a lot of time to look into it right now.

Might want to check out this site:

http://63.249.150.205/panny/

or this one:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/

as they both have sections dedicated to your set.
Old 11-06-01, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a Toshiba HD convertor to go with my Toshiba HDTV. I had another model that had both OTA & DirecTv decoders built-in, but had problems with 3 seperate sets. They eventually sent me the new 65" set with the set-top decoder. It also does both the OTA & DirecTv decoding. With the built-in , I had to switch between satellite & antenna, but the set-top puts all the staions together, which is nice. So now I have all my HD stations together in my favorites- ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, HBO, PBS, & HDNET. The set-top decoder also boosts all the signals to 1080i, so regular tv stations look better also. I've never seen any problems with DirecTvs picture. Their HBO HD station looks great, plus channel 199 that used to be an HD demo loop station now shows MLB, NHL, NBA, plus lots of other sports and specials 16 hours/day for free. Hockey & baseball both looked great. I would think most decoders would have OTA & DirecTv together. I'm not sure about the DishNet decoders. I'd definitely look for a combo though. One possible problem with DishNet though- besides in this forum & maybe some cheesy Sunday paper ads, I've never heard of them. DirecTv is all over the place with advertising and is growing at a rate that would make it safe to be around for a while. I'd hate to buy a decoder to have it be worthless if the company folds in 2 years. Enjoy the HD shows, it looks like ABC finally joined the HD era this season- now if only NBC (we'll letterbox, but not HD) would get with it.
Old 11-07-01, 05:27 PM

Hi Jon,

Congrats on the nice TV. I realize you're probably busy with your new toy, but it sure would be nice if you would reply to my emails....

hoobi
~ahab