Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 01:41 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Question

Id like to know how you all feel about the sound of your system?

Me not that great, on a tight budget I have this:
Sony STR-DE515
Sony SS-Sr100 50w Rears
Sony SS-Cn100 100w Center
Sony SS-u3033 100w Fronts
KLH ASW10-120 120w Sub
Sony DVP-S500D DVD Player W/5.1 Inputs

All this connected with Monster Cables, Now for onething I am confused about the fact that some of you have your sub connected to the Low level input as do I with Monster Sub and some have yours connected to the High level input, which is best? And is the point of the High level input to boost your front speakers or is there another reason?

Now the other concern is I use Avia to calibrate, and it usually sounds good until I put a good movie in and then its much too loud and I end up changing it anyway. Do people normally configure with the receivers balance,bass, ect. or with the Dvd players functions leaving the receiver alone? Well leave it at that for now...

Any help would be great, and if there are any questions let me know
Old 11-06-01, 03:59 AM

toooooo muuuchhh soooonnnnyyyyy
Old 11-08-01, 10:24 PM
Cool New Member

boy that helped , you didnt even answer the ?
Old 11-08-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ekim
boy that helped , you didnt even answer the ?
Let me give it a shot...

I really like the sound of my system. (serious answers below)

some of you have your sub connected to the Low level input as do I with Monster Sub and some have yours connected to the High level input, which is best?
The low-level input will possibly sound better, and relies on the bass mangagement in your receiver. A high-level (speaker) connection will bypass your receiver's bass management, which could be good or bad depending on your system and taste.

it usually sounds good until I put a good movie in and then its much too loud and I end up changing it anyway. Do people normally configure with the receivers balance,bass, ect. or with the Dvd players functions leaving the receiver alone?
My initial impression is that you have a serious shortcoming with the sub you're using. I'm guessing that the problem is that when you turn up the volume too high you hear distortion from your sub (although you just say that it's "much too loud"; if that's the real problem, you could just turn the volume down).

In a related note, I've found that I get the best results when I leave balance and bass at their flat, default settings. I'm not really sure what you might mean by talking about "the DVD player's functions," unless you're talking about the bass management, in which case I'd say you should set all your speakers to Small and your sub to On.

Please consider using a more descriptive thread title in the future. "Audio Question" could describe a lot of things; something like "Bass Management Question -- high-level vs. low-level outputs for subwoofers" would help people figure out what your post is about and decide if they are interested in the topic before they click on it.

Last edited by stevevt; 11-08-01 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-08-01, 10:49 PM
Cool New Member

when i say dvd configuration i mean exactly what you said should i leave the reciever settings at default and adjust thru the dvd player menu?
Old 11-08-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i say dvd configuration i mean exactly what you said should i leave the reciever settings at default and adjust thru the dvd player menu?
Well, assuming you're using the 5.1 outputs on the dvd player, you should adjust the speaker settings through the dvd player menu.

The receiver's speaker settings won't affect your dvd playback.