DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Older Sansui stereo

Old 11-05-01, 02:29 PM
Cool New Member

Older Sansui stereo

I have an older Sansui stereo that I believe dates back from the late 70s or early 80s. It was found next to a dumpster, and I had it fixed up and repaired a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I can't recall the model number, but it is a monster as far as power output goes. It has 520 watts total, and easily drives 4 large speakers. It also probably weighs in excess of 50 pounds. I am totally enamored with it, but I have never been able to find much information about it. Would any of you happen to have an older Sansui, or have any information on them?
Old 11-05-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Older Sansui models from the 70s were very nice units for their time. I am not too familiar with their receiver models, but I do have an old cassette tape player from the 70's by them that still worked pretty good the last time I fired it up a couple of years ago.

I have found that alot of vintage gear from that era still works beautifully today, and looks very nice compared to some of the stuff put out today. I still have a Pioneer receiver from the 70's running like it is brand new. You just don't see many silver aluminium faced units with real wood sides put out now of days.

J
Old 11-06-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I have an old Sansui. Heavier than a suitcase. All wood enclosure. You could beat it with a baseball bat and it wouldn't budge. I used it in college for an outdoor system, and it lasted all winter.
Old 11-07-01, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

Go to this link in Audio Asylum and you might be able to ask the question there to get an answer.