Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NN Techies Help (new DVD and Receiver)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I am new here and love reading your forums. We just bought a Sony 700 DVD player and Sony 675 Receiver yesterday. We had Pioneer old CD and pro logic receiver that we upgraded. Anyway, we get everything hooked up like the manuel and the DVD doesnt work. The VCR works, the sound on the DVD works as does a CD and the TV works if you turn on the VCR. We have tried almost everything (other than throwing the whole through the window. LOL). Anyone have any ideas???
Our hopes is next year to get a HD tv but now we have a regular one. Do we nn a certain kind of t.v.? Also we have Bose Acoustimass dbl cubes and they seem to be working fine.
Also another question. What is the best hookup... componet or S thingy or optical??
And lastly, did we get good systems? We bought them at best buy and we paid $429.00 total.
TIA...
Old 11-05-01, 11:51 AM

First, I have a few questions. Are you running your video feed from the DVD player to the receiver then to the TV, or are you running the feed directly from the DVD player to the TV?

As for a "certain kind" of TV for receiving HD signals, just make sure you buy a set that is HD-ready.

The best connection for your video feed (from the DVD player) is via component video. The other connection you mentioned (optical) is for audio only. There is a heated debate on which connection is better for digital audio (optical vs. coaxial). However, when it comes down to it, both connections simply send a digital signal from the DVD player to the receiver - so it's your choice.

I know you probably have more questions, so feel free to ask.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 11-05-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

need more detalis on what you tried...
with this setup your best bet is to run your dvd player in to the receiver via component vid. and then run the receiver in to the TV via component or s-video depending on TV. in this case make sure you try all the video setting on receiver. (video1, Video2, etc.)
also plug the dvd player directly i to the tv just to verify that is does work. My bet is that you have vid-in and vid-out backwords.
oh yeah.. welcome
Old 11-05-01, 12:36 PM

Okay I bought the component cables this morning that I will try. i have a feeling it might be our T.V. Our tv does not have component or s-video hookups. It only has the place for the cable and the red/white/ and yellow video in/out hookups. I dont think it is HD ready. It is maybe about 6-7yrs old. The VCR works through it but not the DVD. ALso my husband said he tried just the DVD to the tv and it doesnt work. Uggh, we arent dummies. Everything is color coded so we have to have the connections right. This is just fustrating us so. Thanx all for your help.
Old 11-05-01, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Oraphus
need more detalis on what you tried...
with this setup your best bet is to run your dvd player in to the receiver via component vid. and then run the receiver in to the TV via component or s-video depending on TV. in this case make sure you try all the video setting on receiver. (video1, Video2, etc.)
also plug the dvd player directly i to the tv just to verify that is does work. My bet is that you have vid-in and vid-out backwords.
oh yeah.. welcome
It's highly doubtful that at the pricepoint the receiver was purchased at that there's any support for component video. Also, I don't think that there's many receivers that do conversion from one input (componant, Svid, etc) to another. Except possibly for some of the more stratosphericly priced units.

Now that I said what I did about conversion, there'll be 100 replys from people that have different receivers that do have it.

Pompom2 said
Okay I bought the component cables this morning that I will try. i have a feeling it might be our T.V. Our tv does not have component or s-video hookups. It only has the place for the cable and the red/white/ and yellow video in/out hookups. I dont think it is HD ready. It is maybe about 6-7yrs old. The VCR works through it but not the DVD. ALso my husband said he tried just the DVD to the tv and it doesnt work. Uggh, we arent dummies. Everything is color coded so we have to have the connections right. This is just fustrating us so. Thanx all for your help.
No help I know ... but the white and red connections are for l/r stereo. The yellow one is composite video. May as well return the component video cable if all you have is composite. Unless of course you want to hold onto it till you get a TV that supports it.

Obvious question - how do you hook up your VCR so it works?

Another obvious question - when hooking up your DVD via the composite video connection, you've switched your TV to line in, yes?

BTW - By "obvious", I meant to me.

BBTTWW - Welcome to DVDTalk.

Last edited by Janitor; 11-05-01 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-05-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think your problem is that you are trying to connect a component video on receiver/dvd to composite video on tv. Your dvd player and receiver should have red/white/yellow av connectors a set of composite and a set of component. since your tv is old it only has composite, use those outputs, make sure you plug the wire in from those to the red/white/yellow connector on tv wich are composite as well.