DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help Me Get A New DVD Player

Old 11-04-01, 11:12 AM

Help Me Get A New DVD Player

I recently sold my DVD player to a friend and it couldn't be perfect timing because I recently purchased a Toshiba 65H81. So now I have a chance to upgrade to a Progressive Scan DVD player. Now I just need help picking one. I was looking at Onecall.com they have a good selection.

I was looking at this one: http://sql.onecall.com/PID_12116.htm

If the page doesn't load its the Sony DVPNS700P.
Anyone who knows anything about this DVD player let me know. Is it good? Is it bad? etc. Also tell me about any other Progressive Scan DVD players. Two more questions are is ColorStream Pro important in a Toshiba DVD player because it has a direct input for a ColorStream product on my 65H81. Thanks for all your help guys. You can't get this help at Best Buy. I know that.

Karli-

PS:
I don't really care if its a multi changer or a single disc DVD player. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that the Panasonic RP-56 provides the best progressive picture for the least money. It has the extremely impressive Sage FLI-2200 chip inside.

I'm not a big fan of Sony DVD players.

I think Colorstream is just Toshiba's way of saying "component video". But if you want to match brands the Toshiba SD3750 is progressive scan and in your price range.
Old 11-04-01, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Panny 56. It's an excellent unit for the price. Great picture...great sound......no complaints here
Old 11-04-01, 08:35 PM

1. ColorStream is just Toshiba's way of saying 'component video out.'

2. DO NOT GET THE PANASONIC RP-56 IF YOU HAVE A 16:9 TV!!!

The reason I say this is that the Panasonic lacks an auto-scaling feature which ensures your picture to be in the correct aspect ratio if viewed on a 16:9 TV. Panasonic even admits this shortcoming, as they include a little card with the RP-56 saying essentially "You better hope your TV can auto-scale, because our, player can't, and then you're screwed."

For a 16:9 TV, the only DVD player you should be even considering is the JVC XV-SA60BK which sells for $200 and has a great autoscaling feature built in. If you want to add DVD-Audio and built in DD/DTS decoders, the XV-SA70BK can be had for $250.

Go to www.hometheaterspot.com, and look in the JVC forum, and you'll see that I just did a comparson of the JVC to the Panasonic, and I found the JVC to be better. There are multiple other comparisons too that are also very good and worth looking at.

Also take notice that my review was on a 4:3 TV, where the auto-scaling feature doesn't come into play and I still found the JVC to be better. For a 16:9 TV, you would be making a BIG mistake to get the Panasonic, because it will screw up 4:3 and non-anamorphic movies on your 16:9 TV. Go with the JVC, it's a better machine in most every way,a nd you won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-01, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by jabbas
*snip*

For a 16:9 TV, you would be making a BIG mistake to get the Panasonic, because it will screw up 4:3 and non-anamorphic movies on your 16:9 TV. Go with the JVC, it's a better machine in most every way,a nd you won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps!
Preface : I'm using a JVC XVS60 that I like a lot.

Anyway - I have to disagree here. At least in the strength of your terms. You're right in saying that the Panny will not scale the output for a 4:3 or non anamorphic source. But - to say that it screws them up is plain wrong. It simply leaves them alone.

Certainly, this (lack of scaling on the Panasonic) is a big problem on any (16:9) TV that locks into 1.85:1 format with a 480p signal. But - I don't think that many current TVs have that particular design faupax.

The scaling is extremely nice to have, even if your TV doesn't have the above problem, but to say the picture is screwed up is a bit strong. The Panny is a very nice machine. If you like it, and your TV lets you change format with a 480p signal, you can always put the TV into narrow mode for 4:3 source and expand (or whatever your mfgr calls it) for a non-anamorphic disk.

All that said - with the JVC, you can leave it in the autoscale mode ("16:9 normal") so the picture looks proper no matter where you wander on a extra features disk. Also - it does a far, far better job than my Mits display at scaling a non anamorphic disk to fit properly.

Yes - without reservation I'd recommend the JVC over the Panasonic for users with 16:9 displays. But - the Panny's a great player and shouldn't be considered a wrong choice by anyone who makes it. Indeed - there are things it does better (like video deinterlacing) than the JVC.

/randy
Old 11-05-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Sony 700p player and for the money I think it is great.

I am using a 36XBR400 TV with it so I do not have the 16:9 issues.
Old 11-05-01, 11:54 AM

thanks for clarifying. I've not paid too much attention to the autoscaling details since I have a 4:3 TV, but thanks for setting it straight
Old 11-06-01, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I surprised myself by picking up the JVC XV-S62SL (same as the XV-6x series) over the Panny RP56, but I'm pretty happy with the JVC for the few DVDs I've watched on it so far. The only drawback I've heard about the Panny RP56 is its flicker bug, which is present in a small number of DVDs.