Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New to this site / Your opinions needed for these products! (Merged 2 threads)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New to this site / Your opinions needed for these products! (Merged 2 threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to this site!

I'm brand new to the site and would like to say hello to everyone here. I'm a movie and music nut from Austin. I have a Sony GX808ES receiver that is about 8 or 9 years old and a 32 inch TV. I'm looking to buy a new receiver and TV. We're moving into a house from an apartment and want a new system for the living room. Here are my questions:

1. Are Samsung components (specifically their 65in TV and DVD players) considered quality products? I can provide specific models numbers for what I'm interested in if needed.

2. I've noticed the Outlaw Audio components seem popular. Is the pre amp and receiver they sell on their site good? What about price?

3. There is a store here called The Home Theater Store. They carry A/V furniture and just got a new entertainment center by a company called Contemporary Product Design (CPD) that they're selling for $4000. I can't find any info on the web, the store told me the manufacturer doesn't have a web site. Does anyone know about them or even a good source for nice A/V furniture?

Thank you in advance for all the help. Feel free to email me directly or post response here. If there is anything I can help someone with, please let me know.

[email protected]
Old 11-03-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Welcome to the site...

Samsung has a history of problems with color banding and black levels when using component inputs. If you are going to be buying a HDTV you will obviously want to be using a progressive scan DVD player so you would be using the component inputs(I am not sure this problem is fixed as I have read recent reviews on this problem). I consider Samsung on the low-end of consumer electronics, but that's just me.

Outlaw is a very good A/V receiver for the price. It is strong for movie watching but is weak in the music department. If you are a big music fan and you don't want to have 2 seperate systems for music and movies, I would go with a more well rounded receiver.

I have never heard of that furniture manufacturer but my suggestion is if you are willing to spend $4000 on a A/V cabinet, I would scrap that idea and invest the money in the A/V components.

If I new what your budget was I could help steer you in a better direction, that is if you didn't have your heart set on Samsung.
Old 11-03-01, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the fast response!

My hearts not set on Samsung. The only reason I'm considering it is because I can get a HUGE discount through my job. They have some progressive scan dvd players that are really cheap. Also, I don't want to spend $4000 on furniture (my wife loved the piece I mentioned), that's why I want to find something comparable that is cheaper. What brands do you recommend for receivers and speakers. I don't care that much about the music side of it, mainly for movies. I still have my old system that I'll use for music. Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-04-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Answer a few questions...

1. Do you want to do DTS-ES or THX-EX or just good-ole 5.1?

2. Are you going to need surround/center speakers and a sub? If so whats your budget for speakers?

3. Whats your budget for the receiver, DVD player and TV?

4. Are you going to have enough viewing distance for a 65" TV?(at least 11' for 65" TV)

5. At your viewing distance will you have a place to put your surround speakers?
Old 11-04-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know of no specific problems with Samsung but generally the most popular with the members of the forum are Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Pioneer and SONY. This is purely unscientific just a general observation. You will definately want good distance for a 65" depending on the source. Recent threads discussed it and with DVD you can be pretty close but for other TV watching you need your distance.
Old 11-04-01, 10:42 PM

Your opinions are needed for these products!

These are some of the components I've been looking at lately. If anyone has experience with these products, I'd greatly appreciate your opinion.

Samsung 65 inch widescreen TV, model # HCL652W

Samsung 50 inch Ultra Light TV, model # HLK506W

DVD Player, progressive scan, model # DVD-P701

DVD Player, Nuon enhanced, model # DVD-N501

I'm not stuck on Samsung, I can just get these through work at BIG discounts. I've already got a semi negative vibe from members here about Samsung products in general. I'm also looking at Yamaha, Denon, and Outlook audio for receivers. Thanks again in advance.

Shawn