Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Recorders--INFO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Recorders--INFO?

Hey all,

A friend of mine just got the Panasonic DVD Recorder that just came out for a semi-affordable price. I can only imagine that these puppies will be at least around $500 by this time next year. He paid about $899 for his and has been replacing ALL of his older home movies and VHS ever since. He says it is absolutely amazing and the quality is incredible. Anyone got one yet? The only drawback I can see is that they are only able to record in 2.0 Dolby Digital so no surround sound. Anyone else?
Old 11-05-01, 02:04 PM

I've played with both E10 and E20 panasonic models. The main drawback of the players are no component input (for obvious reasons). You also have to choose what long recording mode you want when you decide which model-E-10 does 4 hour, E20 does 6 hour.

In theory (yeah, right), if you have a dvd player that doesn't go nuts with macrovision, you can do a dub via s-video. However, the price of the blank discs are often higher than the actual movie you wanted to dub.
Old 11-05-01, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DeadGnat
I've played with both E10 and E20 panasonic models.

In theory (yeah, right), if you have a dvd player that doesn't go nuts with macrovision, you can do a dub via s-video. However, the price of the blank discs are often higher than the actual movie you wanted to dub.
The reason i'd be using it is to archive my old TV shows and interviews that I have on VHS. Also, there are a ton of concerts and extras from laserdiscs that i'd love to get on DVD to preserve since they will most likely never be officially released. The media for dvd-r is about $9 each here in new york with that to go down, i'm sure.