DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Denon 3802 or Onkyo (THX) 797 ???

Old 11-01-01, 08:50 PM

Denon 3802 or Onkyo (THX) 797 ???

I listened to both of these today and can not decide. They both sound great. THe Onkyo has amazing crystal clear sound, but the DENON seems like it had more power. I am upgrading an Onkyo 575

What do you think?
Old 11-01-01, 09:21 PM
steak

I had the same choice you are mulling about a year ago. Then it was the Denon 3801 and the Onkyo 787. For me, the choice was made by the fact that the Onkyo did not do DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete.

But, it looks as though that is not that case anymore. Then only regret (if you can call it that) about buying the Denon is that the remote takes a bit of getting used to. Other than the remote, I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Good luck.

Old 11-02-01, 01:01 AM

if use is 100% home theater, go onkyo. If you plan on doing movies and music, get the Denon, it's a far more versatile machine.

How it breaks down:

Yamaha: great for music, good for movies
Denon: very good for music, great for movies
Onkyo: Average for music, really great for movies
Old 11-02-01, 08:33 AM

another thing to remember, with the denon you need to use the menus on screen, not with the onkyo.
also the onkyo had composite video switching also.
Old 11-02-01, 01:27 PM

Thanks guys!

I think the onkyo wins! Plus the THX is a big plus!
Old 11-02-01, 01:51 PM

I'm in the same exact boat. I had been looking at the Onkyos for a VERY long time. Then suddenly I started reading how everyone loves the Denon's. So I started researching the 3802. I'm really torn between the two. May I should just flip a quarter or something.

I primarily will use it for both movies and music. Probably more for movies (65% movies, 35% music). Doesn't look like either choice is a bad choice over the other. Then again I don't even have speakers yet.
Old 11-02-01, 11:48 PM

Im in the exact same boat you are in. I believe im going to get the Onkyo 797. What are the prices your looking at. I may have a sight for you to check out to get a good deal on the Onkyo. Email me if your intrested.
Old 11-04-01, 10:02 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THX

Don't be too concerned with the THX symbol on the Onkyo....in this range of receivers, this is simply a certification and the right for the mnfg. to put the logo on to the unit.

I'd go with the Denon....I have a 4800, have recently installed a 4802 and three 3801 and 3802 models (just a hobby, not a reseller). I love these babies!
Old 11-04-01, 08:37 PM

i agree with ngp.

What they mean by "THX certified" is that if every one of your components, from TV to receiver to DVD player to speakers is all THX certified, then you'll be somehow cooler than the other kids and be getting a better sound. In short, it's a scam to get people to think "THX=Lucas=badass=I must have it."

There is a THX mode on the player which is supposed to give excellent sound, but it's really no different from the 6.1 neo matrix sound fields on the Denon.
Old 11-06-01, 03:12 PM

Glad I checked this forum.

I've been looking at the TX-DS797 myself, and was planning on purchasing it online (ecost appears to be the cheapest $760, free shipping). However, I noticed that ecost.com does not appear to be on Onkyo's list of approved internet dealers. What does this mean if the company is not on this list? If they are not, would I still be able to use a local service center? None of the "approved" dealers seem to have any price breaks, and circuit city is right in the same ballpark.

I contacted Onkyo and they said they would not honor the warranty.

Hmmm, based on this thread I also need to check out Denon, although I just love the way the Onkyo looks ...
Old 11-06-01, 03:14 PM

Also, any suggested speaker pairs out there? I was looking at the Infinity HTS20 set, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 11-06-01, 11:46 PM

I ordered the Onkyo 898 tonight for $1094 (total including shipping) through JandR.com They also have the Onkyo 797 for $799 plus shipping. But you can call and say you are a member of ****** (which i am) and that you wanted to order it online through ****** to get the 3% but the two Onkyo's i listed you cant order online (you have to call) The guy i spoke to tonight from JandR (Leo) just took the 3% off for me. Basically its like getting free shipping. So for those intrested in the 797 you can get it for about $799 out the door.
Old 11-06-01, 11:51 PM

As far as speakers there has been alot of talk about Swan Diva's. if intrested in the sight that sells them and the forum where i read about them just send me an email. Wish I had a house so i could build me a real home theater. Just hope my wife doesnt find out how much i spent tonight on a reciever
Old 11-07-01, 08:32 AM

Forgot to mention that JandR is an authorized dealer for Onkyo
Old 11-07-01, 11:13 AM

Coolmello,

Thanks for the tips on J&R. Quick question: are you referring to Ooorrderrrbaaxx the word is edited by the moderators).

Also, for the price you just listed for the 898, you've now created a controversy for me. I had basically decided I wanted the 797, but now I'm tempted by the 898. It seems like the real difference is 7.1 EX and the RS-232 input for home mgmt systems, right? The tech geek in me says go for the 7.1 EX, but I'm not convinced of the need for it (if it will really reach critical mass in the industry). Any suggestions?

Len
Old 11-07-01, 03:41 PM

About two years ago I was looking at the same line of recievers as well. The conclusion that I came to was that there was no real "bad" receiver just personal opinion at the levels you are looking at.

One thing of note was that the Denon's appear to be a bit warmer in sound whereas the Yamaha's and Onkyo's are a bit brighter. This factor could help in your decision.

In addition I'm a sucker for asthetics. The Denon 3300 at the time was a sexy looking piece. This did influence my decsion. Looks may or may not be important to you but something to consider.

I have not seen to many dissapointed Denon owners however.
Old 11-07-01, 10:15 PM

I called JandR (they list the 797 and 898 on there sight as call ins, cant add them to cart) They told me the price was $799 for 797 and $1099 for the 898. I told them that i wanted to order it online threw eeebbbaaattteeesss so i could save 3%. Basically the cost of shipping. He said he could give me the 3% off and i got the 898 for $1094 out the door. I originally was looking at the 696, than it became the 797, than i got this deal and i will be the proud owner of an 898
Old 11-08-01, 08:04 AM

j and R has GREAT customer service, and they will haggle with you on the phone... i'd definately buy from them again.... also, their store is about 1/2 block from ground zero and they didn't lay off any of their employees.. great company all around
Old 11-08-01, 05:33 PM

Just got the 898. Nothing like saving $500 over buying it at Circuit City!!!

This rules ... I just wish they had the speaker set I was looking for!
Old 11-09-01, 03:31 AM

I've decided on a Denon for my next reciever (2802 in particular), but I don't know where to buy it from - any suggestions? Should I just go for the cheapest place I can find online (assuming they have decent customer feedback?)

-Jeff
Old 11-09-01, 08:30 PM

Jeff,

I would consider how much you save (comparing the lowest authorized and non authorized dealer prices) to having the comfort of knowing your covered under warranty.