DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

The skinny on HDTV

Old 11-01-01, 04:11 PM
Banned

The skinny on HDTV

After much self antagonization, I've finally decided to update my TV player and the idea of a HDTV upgrade does look appealing.
However, could anyone tell me if there are any downsides or consumer warnings that I need to know about? I also need a TV that can convert to NTSC to PAL and back at will and something that I can, well, afford.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a techno-idiot.
Old 11-01-01, 04:40 PM

Re: The skinny on HDTV

Originally posted by Chuckopolis
*snip*

and something that I can, well, afford.

*snip*
While I don't think that I'll be of any help when it comes to recommending any specifc TV for you, I may be able to help with this bit of advice :

I think that if you clarify what your budget would be, the people who do know the answers to your question will be better equipped to give you an answer that you can, well, afford.

BTW - The need for both NTSC and PAL will probably severely limit your choices.
Old 11-01-01, 04:58 PM
Banned

Well, I'm planning on revamping my entire home theatre, so I'll probably just buy a Malata to do the job on the PAL/NTSC conversion.

And my budget is... well... let's just say anything around $500 or less.
Old 11-01-01, 05:26 PM

Well, I'm planning on revamping my entire home theatre, so I'll probably just buy a Malata to do the job on the PAL/NTSC conversion.

I was actually thinking of suggesting something like that to deal with the PAL/NTSC thing for you, even if you just keep it as a second deck for when you need that functionality.

As far as an HDTV display for around $500 - I wish you luck.

I've not seen anything that inexpensive. Yet. I'm sure the day will come, but I don't think it's here yet. Though - there may be a direct view, 4:3 smallish (27" or so) screen out there in that will do HDTV/Progressive for that price. Doubt it, but there may be.

I think we still need to wait for enough of them to be sold to recoup the engineering and tooling costs for the mfgrs. That, and for the manufacturing process itself to mature enough to lower costs to the company making it.

It seems to me that I've seen 16:9 1080i displays for about $1700 at the lowest end. But like the vast majority of people out there - I've not seen all of them.

See. Just as promised - no help.

Last edited by Janitor; 11-01-01 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-02-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, if you find anything for $500 then let me know. i am in the process of investigating and HDTV and i would say that i haven't seen anything for less then about $1800 although i haven't looked at many places yet. i am still in the research phase.