Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Finally!! Pictures of my family room modifications (big hole in the wall)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-31-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those that remember my thread I just cut a 7' x 9' hole in my wall I now have modified my web page to show the new pictures. They are linked to other new ones as well so please check them out.

www.geocities.com/senseijim/hometheater.html
Old 10-31-01, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Cool Jim! Thanks for the update.
Old 10-31-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like it. I assume you can access the back of the TV and the other audio equipment from the garage?
Old 11-01-01, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

I would hope so. On mine, we installed a half height fire proof door for access to wiring in the back. It was a Godsend.
Old 11-01-01, 01:42 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It would be nice if you made the pictures you have on the site links to the full size pictures. It would be easier to see in detail what you did. Just an FYI, looks nice.
Old 11-01-01, 02:18 AM

Coolness.
Old 11-01-01, 07:40 AM

Very nice!

Did you notice any difference (problems?) with locating your speakers so close to the wall behind them?
Old 11-01-01, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nefarious Actually we have no garage access. I was worried about insulation and noise, not to mention future selling the house. If I take all that stuff out of there it is entirely finished so anything can be put inn there such as a wet bar or something if someone doesn't want Home Theater. There is actually enough room behind it. I just slide out the right tower and I can get behind the whole setup. Not as practical as RandyC's setup but it works for me.

Wiz I don't do that much with Geocities so I have no idea how to link to full size pictures. If you could email or link me to some quick directions I think it would be a great idea.

Janitor The only problem I have noticed is some of the stuff on the shelves rattle when the subs kick in, which they didn't do before, so now I have some rearranging to do before action movies.
Old 11-01-01, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by JimRochester
Nefarious*snip*
so anything can be put inn there such as a wet bar or something if someone doesn't want Home Theater.
*snip*
Let me get this straight. I must be missing something. You're saying that the next buyer may not want an HT? Esp given the nice setup you'd be leaving,

I'm a bit confused about this.

Janitor The only problem I have noticed is some of the stuff on the shelves rattle when the subs kick in, which they didn't do before, so now I have some rearranging to do before action movies.
Cool. If that's the only problem then it's a small price to pay for such a clean arrangement.
Old 11-01-01, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Janitor

Let me get this straight. I must be missing something. You're saying that the next buyer may not want an HT? Esp given the nice setup you'd be leaving,

I'm a bit confused about this.

They can have my Home Theater when they pry the remote from my cold dead hands. This addition doesn't need to be filled with electronics. The drywall is as good as the rest of the house so just about anything; wet bar, closet, shrine to the Virgin Mother. Whatever floats their boat.
Old 11-01-01, 06:08 PM

They can have my Home Theater when they pry the remote from my cold dead hands. This addition doesn't need to be filled with electronics. The drywall is as good as the rest of the house so just about anything; wet bar, closet, shrine to the Virgin Mother. Whatever floats their boat.
Ooooh! I would never suggest that you'd want to actually leave the electronics. That'd be silly, and you don't strike me as a silly person.

I'm just trying to figure out how anyone wouldn't want to use it (the space you've created) to it's best advantage. That would be what you designed it for - home theater.

Again ...
Old 11-01-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured out the pictures. The shots are now linked to larger view pictures. I goofed on one of the garage shots but I'm working on it.

Chances are they would want to use it for HT, but we had many concerns including a time frame I was working on (I did it while the wife was out of town, SURPRISE HONEY!!), as well as money, heating and sound issues I just decided to do without the trap door. Yes it would be nice but I don't need to get to the back that often and it was one less thing to worry about.
Old 11-02-01, 10:01 AM
wiz

Wiz I don't do that much with Geocities so I have no idea how to link to full size pictures. If you could email or link me to some quick directions I think it would be a great idea.
It's actually just simple HTML, if Geocities will allow you to do that. You have to have 2 images of the picture, one is of course smaller than the 2nd. If it's just straight HTML you put the smaller picture on the page like you have it, then upload the larger picture there also. Then just link the smaller picture to the larger picture so that when people click on it they are sent to the big picture.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with Geocities, but if you had a regular web host this would be possible.

Nice setup anyhow.

Edit: And I just now saw you figured it out...cool.
Old 11-02-01, 11:03 AM

No way! That's the exact same cabinet I have!
What are the odds of that?