DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I get the Sony DVP-NS700P or Sony DVP-NS300?

Old 10-31-01, 02:59 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Should I get the Sony DVP-NS700P or Sony DVP-NS300?

I've got a Magnavox 32" tv that's 6-7 years old, obviously not HDTV. And I don't have a receiver and speakers hooked up...yet. I like that the 700 can play CDR/CDRW (and I'm assuming it's capable of playing MP3s but have seen different descriptions as to whether that's true or not). But that may be the only advantage of getting the more expensive player. I don't plan on picking up a HDTV or a Sony XBR TV anytime soon. I'd rather get the surround sound first.

My dad can get me the Sony employee discount and I've got about $100 credit on my Sony credit card. So should I pick up the Sony DVP-NS700P for roughly $100 or Sony DVP-NS300 for about $30? Or should I completely scrap the Sony idea and get a different dvd player?
Old 10-31-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any Sony DVD players support MP3. I guess it depends on how big a deal that feature is to you. If it's important I would steer you towards the similar but better options of the JVC XV-S65GD or the Panasonic DVD-RP56. Each reasonably priced at around $200-$220.

If you were going to get a Sony regardless get the 700. Much better down the road option.
Old 10-31-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A nice compromise would be the model just above the 300, the DVP-NS400. It will play CD-R and CD-RW, but does not have the added expense of progressive scan. I think progressive DVD players are going to improve a lot over the next couple of years, so you might as well wait to upgrade when you get a progressive-capable TV.

Like Nefarious said, the current generation of Sony players aren't MP3 compatible. You could get a Panasonic, but I've played with both and don't like the Panasonic anywhere near as much as Sony.
Old 10-31-01, 11:15 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

I went to Tweeter tonight an the salesman was trying to talk me into the 700 over the 300 or the 400. He said it had a better processor. Is there any validity to that?