DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Want to upgrade Onkyo 575 receiver-->

Old 10-30-01, 11:49 AM

Want to upgrade Onkyo 575 receiver-->

I have an Onkyo 575 Receiver with 5.1 DD and DTS decoding. It sounds great, but not as good oras clear as the Yamaha and Denon's I have heard in the Wiz. Also, it is loud for 70 watts per channel, but not loud enough for my big room. I watch movies at a volume setting of 60, and that is not even loud enough sometimes. I am really pushing this thing. I want to spend under 800 bucks.....what do you recommend for a powerful amp, and crystal clear sound. THX would be nice, but not necessary........
Old 10-30-01, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Denon 3802

What kind of speakers do you have? Are they easy to drive? This makes a very large difference in how loud your movies are going to play.
Old 10-30-01, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by skar
Denon 3802

What kind of speakers do you have? Are they easy to drive? This makes a very large difference in how loud your movies are going to play.
Bingo -

Find some speakers with a sensativity 3db better than what you have, and the results would be (very) similar to putting in a 140wpc amp.

That said - speaks can cost a whack more than a new receiver.
Old 10-30-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Want to upgrade Onkyo 575 receiver-->

Originally posted by Morrow373
I have an Onkyo 575 Receiver with 5.1 DD and DTS decoding. It sounds great, but not as good oras clear as the Yamaha and Denon's I have heard in the Wiz.
It isn't possible to make a qualitative comparison between the receiver in your home system and the receivers at a store. You need to hear the receivers you're trying to compare in the same system in the same room.

Originally posted by Morrow373
Also, it is loud for 70 watts per channel, but not loud enough for my big room. I watch movies at a volume setting of 60, and that is not even loud enough sometimes. I am really pushing this thing. I want to spend under 800 bucks.....what do you recommend for a powerful amp, and crystal clear sound. THX would be nice, but not necessary........
I agree with what the others have said about trying different speakers, where different models and brands can be significantly louder or quieter. It will probably be difficult to find this degree of difference in most receivers.
Old 10-30-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Janitor

Find some speakers with a sensativity 3db better than what you have, and the results would be (very) similar to putting in a 140wpc amp.

That said - speaks can cost a whack more than a new receiver.
True, I recommend spending twice as much on a set of 5.1 speakers as you on a receiver/amp-preamp combo. More than twice as much for a 6.1 setup.