DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Want to upgrade Onkyo 575 receiver-->

Old 10-30-01, 11:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: West Paterson,NJ,USA
Posts: 249
Want to upgrade Onkyo 575 receiver-->

I have an Onkyo 575 Receiver with 5.1 DD and DTS decoding. It sounds great, but not as good oras clear as the Yamaha and Denon's I have heard in the Wiz. Also, it is loud for 70 watts per channel, but not loud enough for my big room. I watch movies at a volume setting of 60, and that is not even loud enough sometimes. I am really pushing this thing. I want to spend under 800 bucks.....what do you recommend for a powerful amp, and crystal clear sound. THX would be nice, but not necessary........
Morrow373 is offline  
Old 10-30-01, 12:34 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,644
Denon 3802

What kind of speakers do you have? Are they easy to drive? This makes a very large difference in how loud your movies are going to play.
skar is offline  
Old 10-30-01, 12:47 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: On an island somewhere
Posts: 448
Originally posted by skar
Denon 3802

What kind of speakers do you have? Are they easy to drive? This makes a very large difference in how loud your movies are going to play.
Bingo -

Find some speakers with a sensativity 3db better than what you have, and the results would be (very) similar to putting in a 140wpc amp.

That said - speaks can cost a whack more than a new receiver.
Janitor is offline  
Old 10-30-01, 12:51 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,774
Re: Want to upgrade Onkyo 575 receiver-->

Originally posted by Morrow373
I have an Onkyo 575 Receiver with 5.1 DD and DTS decoding. It sounds great, but not as good oras clear as the Yamaha and Denon's I have heard in the Wiz.
It isn't possible to make a qualitative comparison between the receiver in your home system and the receivers at a store. You need to hear the receivers you're trying to compare in the same system in the same room.


Originally posted by Morrow373
Also, it is loud for 70 watts per channel, but not loud enough for my big room. I watch movies at a volume setting of 60, and that is not even loud enough sometimes. I am really pushing this thing. I want to spend under 800 bucks.....what do you recommend for a powerful amp, and crystal clear sound. THX would be nice, but not necessary........
I agree with what the others have said about trying different speakers, where different models and brands can be significantly louder or quieter. It will probably be difficult to find this degree of difference in most receivers.
stevevt is offline  
Old 10-30-01, 01:34 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,644
Originally posted by Janitor


Find some speakers with a sensativity 3db better than what you have, and the results would be (very) similar to putting in a 140wpc amp.

That said - speaks can cost a whack more than a new receiver.
True, I recommend spending twice as much on a set of 5.1 speakers as you on a receiver/amp-preamp combo. More than twice as much for a 6.1 setup.
skar is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.