DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Best center speaker for under $200?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/154539-best-center-speaker-under-%24200.html)

cpgator 10-29-01 10:47 AM

Best center speaker for under $200??

Any ideas on a good center for less than $200? I am not interested in matching the fronts. Thanks! :)

skar 10-29-01 12:19 PM

PSB Alpha Center

cpgator 10-29-01 12:48 PM

Thanks, that one does look very nice. :) Another other ideas?

Joel White 10-29-01 02:35 PM

Also try the HomeTheaterDirect.com Level III Center. An impressive center channel, especially for the $139 price tag.

Brian Shannon 10-29-01 02:39 PM

Go listen to some with your favorite discs.

Tommy Boy29 10-29-01 05:51 PM

I really like my JBL S-center, which can easily be found online for under $200. Everything sunds crystal clear. It's great.

Master J 10-29-01 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Tommy Boy29
I really like my JBL S-center, which can easily be found online for under $200. Everything sunds crystal clear. It's great.
I have to agree with this one, especially if you are considering JBL Studio series for the rest of your fronts. This center chanel can be picked up for probably around 150 before shipping at some places online. Well worth every dollar.

J

svadas 10-29-01 07:31 PM

if you don't care about matching it, then look into used equipment. you'll get much more bang for the buck than anything new.

bfrank 10-30-01 11:03 AM

Matching is importand. At least try to match the tweeter design.

If you are not matching or looking to upgrade the L/R later then just shop the sales there are many products at this price with the same basic material content.

Trelach24 10-30-01 05:56 PM

JBL S-Center :thumbsup:

cpgator 10-31-01 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the help :)

TexasGuy 11-01-01 04:27 PM

You may want to check out Ubid. I picked up 2 Klipsch C7 center channels for less than $200 each a few months back. The downside is you may be waiting until something you want becomes available.

Janitor 11-01-01 04:37 PM

Originally posted by svadas
if you don't care about matching it, then look into used equipment. you'll get much more bang for the buck than anything new.
Good advice given your conditions and price range -

Check out audiogon.com - Some pretty good deals can be had there. Unfortunatly for center speaks you'll have to be patient with them. That's the <u>one</u> HT speaker that they don't have a seperate section for. You'll have to dig in the other speaker sections to find them.

Ebay can be good too. It can also be bad. In any event, they've a lot of speakers for sale there.

All that said - you'll still want to have an idea as to what you want to buy, even used. Just keep in mind that if you've a $200 budget, buying used means that you can be auditioning speakers that list in the $350-$500 range that will go for < $200 used in great condition.

Janitor 11-01-01 04:42 PM

Oh yea ... I forgot - another place to find quite a few opinions on specific models of speakers is audioreview.com. Best to use that one when you've some models in mind to research.

Just that when you read reviews there, realize that the people there are just like you and I - not necessarily authorities just because they posted a review. :)

FuzzyNY 11-02-01 11:56 AM

All Klipsch speakers use Horn tweeter/s, which sounds very different to other speakers, most Klipsch users emphasised that don't mixed Klipsch to other brand name speakers(especailly mains and center), for perfect matching, Refrence series match reference series, KLF match KLF and so on.... I really did mixed different main and center before and I was disappointed about Klipsch, however, after I got the RF-3 to match the RC-3, wow, I couldn't be happier:)

Fuzz

wiz 11-02-01 01:51 PM

I just ordered the PSB Alpha Center from http://www.soundcity.com/ for $129, I think is the price.

Will fit nicely in the center between the PSB Alpha B's.